RAISING THE ROOF "LITERALLY"

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v been worried about a small stone cottage down my road since it's been up for sale since the summer, the sold sign on the old cottages down this road usually means, yes the wrecking ball or serous renovations that leave behind a ghost of the buildings former beauty, this is because about 15 years ago sewage and town water was put on the street and now all the wonderful old cottages have mostly gone being replaced with either homes of lavish cottages in that short time. there are other stone cottages on the street, only 6 were built and all of them in a row next to each other on river and lake front property's, one of which was torn down about 5 years ago and replaced with the large green summer cottage to the left in pictures 3&4, the one to the other side of this cottage the whole the roof was taken off gutted and an addition built on top and all windows replaced, another two of them mostly there but with windows replaced and ans additions put on the back driveway sides, the last one still all there and mostly original with no additions. this is the other one, it is the latest in the line of fire, at first i thought, they were re roofing it and i was relieved they weren't tearing it down, so i snapped some shots with the shingles off on march 13, than today on the 16th we drove by and i almost had a heart attack seeing the roof and second story was off. so i left a note in the front door asking about acquiring the windows (only if there throwing them out, than i'll sell them just to save them) and some siding for a tree house project i'm doing using recycled materials, while putting the note in the door it gave me the opportunity to be nosy and snap some photos :laughing7:, i was upset seeing this because it "WAS" one of my favorite places on the street and i love old buildings, also allot of the trees were cleared making the once majestic property with old cedar and pine trees almost barren. but i guess it's a bit better to have the just the roof and upstairs off instead of everything torn down. one thing i hope they do is keep the old windows in and put storm windows over them, the thing people don't realize it it's cheaper to do, looks allot better, and makes your windows just as efficient as brand new ones, the cool thing about the windows is they don't match the age of the cottage, the windows are wavy and full of bubbles and the cottage was build in the 1920s-1930s, by this time glass was almost perfected. i'll try to follow up on this post in the future seeing what they do to it, one thing i regret is not asking for a tour of the place before they did this so i could have had some photos. oh well i guess.

Attachments

• stone1.jpg
    stone1.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 111
  • stone2.jpg
    stone2.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 90
  • stone3.jpg
    stone3.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 108
  • stone4.jpg
    stone4.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 98
  • stone5.jpg
    stone5.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 96

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that is beautiful. They might do a nice job. Be hopeful!

OP
OP
treasurepirate1

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'v seen the place in the summer and took a picture, but it's hard to see the roof from the water because of all the trees , so i checked out Google earth view from the sky and other similar buildings near it and here is a quick computer drawing of what it probably would have looked like a few days ago before the roof was taken off, it had a hip roof dormer on it, stone4.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread