Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Been heavily hunting this washed-out black sand and stone covered beach for past 2 months. Recently spent 5 ½ hrs metal detecting the beach and found only 38 coins. Pulled 589 coins, Titanium ring and 2 silver items from the beach so far this year.

031716 001.jpg

The below graph shows number of coins/hr found at this beach over the past 2 months. The trend line is DOWN. In other words, I’m raking the beach clean. Interesting to see new coins showing up in the finds, as the beach gains popularity with warmer weather. Going to shift my MD hunting to low tide and the surf.

031716 002.jpg

The real problem with the beach is that it hasn’t revealed any gold. A nearby beach, where I found just as many coins this year, yielded 2 gold rings and a platinum ring. The gold has to be there…somewhere. Perhaps now that I’ve gotten all the junk coins out-of-the-way I can rescan the beach REAL SLOW and hunt for deeper targets more likely to be gold. This beach (and coin finds) are destroying my gold:coin ratio. I like to keep it in the 1:200 - 1:250 range. Right now it is at 1:414 for 2016! Aaaauuuuu. Have to find gold or I'm going to have a seizure.

Coins in 2016=1,243
Gold (and Platinum)=3
Silver=3

Upvote 0

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
That's some crazy calculating my friend. I have a similar graph with the same declining ratio except mine is showing the amount of time I get to hunt as opposed to the time I have to work and do other responsibilities.:dontknow: Maybe this beach is used primarily by people who don't wear much jewelry like kids and fisherman etc. I like to hunt beaches that I know a lot tourists and or middle aged to elderly people frequent because they tend to be wearing the good stuff. Then again, sometimes its just not there. I've had my share of days finding .35 (in crusted pennies) and a couple of bottle caps and pull tabs. Breathe in, enjoy and thank God for another day spent at the beach.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoops missed the part about stone covered beach.. so sanding in is not the problem.

Sounds like lack of swimmers is the problem.

I am having this problem right now, beach is sanding in, only swimmers are kids, the adults are staying dressed.

This means 20 coins for a 3 hour hunt and no jewelry.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Whoops missed the part about stone covered beach.. so sanding in is not the problem.

Sounds like lack of swimmers is the problem.

I am having this problem right now, beach is sanding in, only swimmers are kids, the adults are staying dressed.

This means 20 coins for a 3 hour hunt and no jewelry.

I think this is an excellent explanation and matches my beach's situation. Very nice.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know as well as anyone your ratio can change in one hunt. On days I find a ring it seems like I find nothing else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread