Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on our annual Ramp digging trip to the mountains this weekend and had a blast. Ate way too much. Thought I would get to detect a little but the rains moved in Saturday so I didn't go. I took a few pictures with the drone and hope you enjoy. Thanks for looking. IMG_20180504_151303823.jpeg IMG_20180504_151310918.jpeg IMG_20180504_185518419.jpeg 009.JPG 008.JPG 007.JPG

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It is officially spring there!
Congrats on a great tradition outing.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing worse than cleaning those things.....i have acres of them in the woods behind my house.....try taking the whole leek, leaf and all, beer batter and deep frying.....best onion rings ever!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i got 12 acres filled to the brim of them here. Perfect time of year to pick before they get to strong in flavor

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow relic nut you don't let the dust settle do ya? Bet ya'll had a real good time. :occasion14: That food looks tasty. Sorry to here about the rain and no detecting.

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks LD. Wish you guys would have been there.
Wow relic nut you don't let the dust settle do ya? Bet ya'll had a real good time. :occasion14: That food looks tasty. Sorry to here about the rain and no detecting.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang man, you got me craving a good mess of ramps to go with a big plate of pinto beans, corn bread and fried taters! I haven't had any ramps since moving back home from West Virginia with my job in 1994. They banned ramp digging in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park many years ago for us natives because the ramps were becoming over harvested and endangered. I have heard there are a few places in the mountains North and South of the GSMNP that you can find some patches but they are few and far between due to over harvesting for the Ramp Festival in Newport, Tennessee (formerly in Cosby). I think the ramps for the festival now come from West Virginia and/or Virginia. It is held May 11th this year and although I have missed every one of them so far, I believe I will make it this year.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, looks like a lot of fun! I learned about the gastronomically legendary wild leek when I lived in Ohio, and after a bit of searching found some patches from which I harvested some seeds and dug some good clusters for transplanting at the family property in central Illinois. I had read that they used to be rather abundant in Illinois and that the name "Chicago" was borrowed from the native word for the plant, but had never managed to find any native populations. Perhaps a few centuries of human activity wiped them out? Anyway, the October 2014 transplants took and now I have several small but healthy patches residing near a wooded stream (quite close to a patch of Ginseng, incidentally). Hopefully with time they will expand to the point that they can be harvested and relished without fear of interfering with my "species re-introduction" scheme. They really are an interesting and tasty plant, pretty flowers and seed-heads too.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks like a great time, for sure. And I bet you guys ate a ton of food! I bet some beers got drank too. Glad to see that you gents had a good time.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DJI Phantom?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a great time, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One or two [emoji41]
That looks like a great time, for sure. And I bet you guys ate a ton of food! I bet some beers got drank too. Glad to see that you gents had a good time.

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these this evening. I love spring time in the mountains! IMG_20180507_144819927.jpeg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's how you go relic hunting. Glad yhall' had a good time. Maybe the weather will be more favorable for you next time out.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you all are from the south. Here in Penna we call them leeks. I must cordially disagree on one thing. They are stronger flavored when they are young. As they mature later in the season, the flavor gets milder. I'm done digging mine now for that reason.

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the younger ones best. I also think they are milder. I have a friend who pickles the big ones, and they are great fixed that way. I also like to freeze some for later. They're not as good as fresh ones but better than waiting all year for more.
I can tell you all are from the south. Here in Penna we call them leeks. I must cordially disagree on one thing. They are stronger flavored when they are young. As they mature later in the season, the flavor gets milder. I'm done digging mine now for that reason.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread