RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
untitled.png

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Shouldn't you be studying something important?:tongue3:

Brace yourself for a corruption lesson. Regarding being a "Picker". (It's rated P.G. Mom , no worries.)

One thing to be aware of is that if you like what you are buying /amassing , you won't want to part with it due to attachment.
Inventory sitting around is not actual profit. You need buyers waiting and then make the transaction.

Will you be willing to ship items? Big heavy bulky items can bite. (Too bad or I'd enlist you to scrounge Farmall Cubs...) So too foreign shipments. Keeping in mind what is even allowed to be shipped where.
Home pick up has risks. Though there are places around here folks set stuff on a porch with instructions where to leave the money.

Meeting folks in a police station parking lot is not bad. Or a public place with witnesses.
Nice to have shops around that want what you find too , but they get their cut of profits. Still ,worth considering.

An example of a recent event , I spotted a couple Coleman lanterns on Craigslist. A model 200A , and a "big hat" 228D. (The big hat is a 1947 Not all big hats are 228's though).
The add said make offer.
I arranged to meet the seller in a small town business parking lot in between our home areas.
A guy almost as scary looking as myself.
He would have taken less for the pair , but unusual for me I was surprised he'd take so little and was unprepared with proper denominations.....
(I tend to have X amount of mixed bills with lots of ones in one pocket ,and X amount of mixed denominations in another ;with wallet removed from being convenient.)

Anyways , I paid 16 dollars a piece for them.
Took them home. Cleaned them up. Bent one's frame back in shape , and their bales . Replaced some seals/gaskets , rinsed them out. Added fresh fuel and mantles and fired them up.

200A's are running 80-100 bucks on E-Bay. More for minty ones ,less for abused but few decent ones are less...
Coleman is not building gas lanterns much anymore. An anniversary one that is real pricey in limited numbers, usually annually..

In addition there are Coleman collectors . In multiple countries. (Canada produced many Coleman lanterns too ,adding another dimension for collectors. They turn up in the U.S.) Of late I think it is Japan paying top dollar.

Sears had gas lanterns. There were Gold Bond ones too. There were pre-lantern gas lights for homes that were free standing. One with original glass top intact has value. To the right collector at the right price , you have a market.
But what you know of the item and it's condition and what you pay will determine your profit. Or potential loss.

Lanterns are not too hard to work on. Knowledge , material/parts and tools are available for many. That suits me. Though I'm not looking to sell ,I could easy enough.
They don't take up a lot of room and aside from careful packing of glass globes (often packed / shipped separate) they can be shipped easy enough after fuel is removed.

But , what you have interest in or know about ,or learn about is the niche you might find in picking. Again , an existing market demand matters first.

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Surgery or torture kit ?

It is designed for "surgery", but I guess in the "Wrong" hands, torture would be a possibility.
==========

Simon,

Vintage surgery tool kit?

Yes, 19th century surgery

Trepanning Set ( burr hole drilling)| 19th century | France | Luigi Nessi

Trepanning, also known as trepanation, trephination, trephining or making a burr hole (the verb trepan derives from Old French from Medieval Latin trepanum from Greek trypanon, literally "borer, auger")[1][2] is a surgical intervention in which a hole is drilled or scraped into the human skull, exposing the dura mater to treat health problems related to intracranial diseases or release pressured blood buildup from an injury.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of my migraines have me contemplating such a course of action :BangHead:

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Morning Friends!

Guys, you have to look into this even when it is in german :laughing7:

It´s called the best german outdoor channel :laughing7: (sarcasm)

Just watch the first seconds and than from 18:40 when he opens his camouflage vest and shoes whats under it !!! He has also two bags for his asthmatic sprays :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

He also says it is important to have many Chinese multi tools that can do a lot of work but nothing for real !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread