RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just checked the price...I hate when idiots bid days ahead of an auction and jack the price up...same for those who bid hours ahead. Bid at the last second, hope for the best, and pay less. Why would you start a bid war way in advance? People slay me is all.

The bullets are now at average price.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just checked the price...I hate when idiots bid days ahead of an auction and jack the price up...same for those who bid hours ahead. Bid at the last second, hope for the best, and pay less. Why would you start a bid war way in advance? People slay me is all.

The bullets are now at average price.

RR
Be careful of counterfeit bullets online.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RR

I've had my fair share of experience in that category. The good news is, these are from Virginia, not Gettysburg. You wouldn't believe how many postwar (post gulf war) bullets are being offered for sale as Civil War bullets. It's ridiculous.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I might just try for the one teat base, instead of the thirty or so dropped carbine bullets being offered as a lot. I have a teat base, but not like this one.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe I won't try for it...I just saw a nice one from Kennesaw, and an equally nice one from Chattanooga. Decisions, decisions...

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just bought a sweet Mississippi sharpshooters bullet dug at Kennessaw.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
RR
========
I agree with Rook 100% RR. Be aware of the seller.
Now days, almost EVERYTHING can be counterfeit.

When the first Apple phones came out, my son bought one. EVERYTHING from the Apple box to the phone itself looked 100 % original. Then my son saw that a foreign country was counterfeiting the Apple phone and since the foreign country was also producing the phone for Apple, it was almost perfect. He contacted Apple in regards to his phone and Apple confirmed it was a counterfeit. Apple offered to buy it back or trade for an actual Apple phone. Apple was doing this in order to try and get as many of the counterfeits off the market as they could in order to avoid a huge amount of bad P.R. down the road if the counterfeit phones had defects. They were trying to protect their image. Instead, I bought the phone from my son so that I would have a conversation piece.
Sorry for the long story.

Old antiques are easy to counterfeit and especially sell on-line. Pick an item, any item and you will find that somewhere along the line a counterfeit was made. Buying on-line is easy and gives you access to multiple sellers. but can you be 100% sure the seller is legitimate ? And he may be legitimate but maybe he unknowingly bought a counterfeit ?

A prime example is the arrowheads you make. MANY arrowheads are counterfeit and are sold as real to people. Not everyone will state that their work was done recently. A knapper may sell an arrowhead and also state it is recently made and include a note accompanying the finished item. Say I bought the item, I then turn around and resell it for 5 or ten times what I paid for it without ever mentioning its history. The same for civil war bullets. Some are counterfeited. The only way a counterfeiter can possibly make any money is by selling in quantity. So I would be cautious about someone selling in bulk. You and the rest of us all know that the BEST way is to actually find it yourself. Short of that, due diligence.

I wanted a specific year and mint mark on a Morgan silver dollar. Upon researching them I was surprised, ( guess I shouldn't have been ), that there was companies, ( overseas ), that were counterfeiting even these. Took me over a year of research and checking out sellers and coin history before I finally found one I was comfortable with. At that time, I then bought two just because of all the time and work I had put into it. So if an item, ( any item ), is in demand, then you will also find the atmosphere for counterfeiting.

Your collection looks nice, but don't let your guard down or you will always be second guessing yourself.

Carry on soldier !

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning RCT.

Originally I stated that Sunday would be the 5 year Tnet Bday... but it seems today is that day instead.

I am on half hiatus here.

Carry on crew.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning RCT.

Originally I stated that Sunday would be the 5 year Tnet Bday... but it seems today is that day instead.

I am on half hiatus here.

Carry on crew.

=======

Should we lower the sails to "half" mast :tongue3:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
We need a little bit of notice because............ well, we have a lot of sails :laughing7:

nice.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread