RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
In other words... what I am basically saying is...

Larger the bucket is on a scoop... the more work it is to use.

You can have a scoop that weighs 5 lbs... that has a precise smaller ergonomic bucket...

Or... a scoop that weighs one pound that has a much larger bucket...

And the only benefit the second one gives its user is the walk from your vehicle to the spot detected is a little lighter...

And vise versa.

Oh and while carrying between "hits".

BUT...

When it makes its own "hit" on you when using it.

By adding way more poundage per lift... due to its "capture" area.

Now...

A lightweight scoop WITH a correctly designed bucket would be ideal.

But when talking about "lightweight" and a bucket that is stressed over and over and over again...

You will see... where the weight sacrifice has lighted the carry... but has "outweighed" the "quality".

Causing its eventual early "failure" as a structurally sound "serious" digging device.

Me...

I want a scoop that... (to be continued)...

Can we add this to that what I mentioned ? :laughing7: :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been added simply by its "being" :)

Last edited:

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
ARC,

you have to look what Scoops in germany costs!

I still thinking - do I buy a scoop or a new car for my wife :laughing7:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i don't she will care what you get her (probably the car though )

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
A favorite mini is this Buck 425. It's 4 5/8" (117.5mm) OAL with 1 5/8" edge (41.3mm)

View attachment 1581353

Funny thing...this is the knife I have the most difficult time trying to sharpen. The blade is very hard. Can get a good angle, but just seems to take forever to get a good edge.

Found the pic! A folding knife.

if you have problems to get a good angle on a harder blade on the normal way, simply take a sharpening stone and grind the cut down along the blade. This makes sure you keep the right angle much easier. The real sharpening you can do later on the right way - to the blade.

The buck knife had a very bad and high angle and was also not easy to sharpen because the hard steel and this "Bravo Sierra" angle. I made it this this way and now you can cut thin small strips from a paper.

I really don´t understand why they don´t make it real sharp in factory or why they use this bad angle on it at all...

For this knife with a real sharp Skandi-cut on the blade I would pay 50$ for instead of 25!

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
i don't she will care what you get her (probably the car though )

----

I think she would also be VERY happy with a scoop!

You have to know that I have problems with my back and when we go digging on holiday, I just put small cocktail flags on the ground where the detector was screaming and than she digs the marked spots :laughing7: :icon_thumleft:

For beach digging in flat water I will buy a scoop for her and some small buoy to mark the spots!

She real hates it when I push her head under the water until she makes a hand sign that he found the object and I let her come up again... Woman.... :laughing7:

Attachments

• crying-with-laughter.gif
    crying-with-laughter.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well at least with scoops I am... :)

:P

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, pic was there the whole time. Just click on the link and it appears. Don't know why it wouldn't show up in the post. ...Maybe this is one of the quirks that the Mods were talking about that gives them errors??

Hey Tom, have you looked at that Kudzu King yet? I know it's made in China, but DANG it's one heck of a machete!

I'll use mine for cutting watermelons open. :laughing7:

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, pic was there the whole time. Just click on the link and it appears. Don't know why it wouldn't show up in the post. ...Maybe this is one of the quirks that the Mods were talking about that gives them errors??

Hey Tom, have you looked at that Kudzu King yet? I know it's made in China, but DANG it's one heck of a machete!

I don´t like Machete´s.

For cutting Watermelons I use this one: :laughing7:

Attachments

• 112814-1-Coherent_Innova90_large_i112814.jpg
    112814-1-Coherent_Innova90_large_i112814.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 41

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other

Seems the Chinese preparing for the ZOMBIE A-co-pa-lypse :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Attachments

• 51PokifNc-L._SX355_.jpg
    51PokifNc-L._SX355_.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 41
  • s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 65

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
For Simon only!

Attachments

• 830-Elvira---Chair__09216.1497284242.jpg
    830-Elvira---Chair__09216.1497284242.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 39

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, by now y'all know how I love DIY stuff.Sooooo here we go.... DRY sand beach scoop :) Cost -nothing-. One dead ,(never was any good )flashlight casing. 002.JPG Where the pen is will be a 1/2" X 30" rod.Secured with 2 washers & nuts. Or remove the 30" rod & use the attached handle:) 013.JPG Overall 4" Dia. 7" long,5" High.Pretty tough but not brittle, plastic

Last edited:

Irishjack

Greenie
Jul 19, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahoy Mates! Irishjack, the Pirate of the placers is lookin for panning / sluicing buddies in the Mother Lode area, live 18 miles from the Gold discovery site in Coloma Ca. Any one wana search fer Treasure?

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTR... more holes.

More the better... don't go closer than 1/2 inch though.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,Thats what I was thinking.Just didn't want to weaken it too much. Might remove the back and replace it with 1/4" mesh wire screen.Held in place with a hose clamp. 009.JPG

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahoy Mates! Irishjack, the Pirate of the placers is lookin for panning / sluicing buddies in the Mother Lode area, live 18 miles from the Gold discovery site in Coloma Ca. Any one wana search fer Treasure?

Welcome aboard irishjack !! Wish I lived out there. Id give er a go. Good luck !!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, you can keep them funky blades with crazy/multiple edge lines! Wasn't thrilled about this one at first, but turned out to be much nicer than expected. I can see myself cutting up lots of HUGE melons in my future! *lol*

The Kudzu may not have a straight (read: "normal") edge, but it's gradual enough to work well. Maybe one day I'll shell out enough for a nice katana. They cut melons real nice! :occasion14:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, by now y'all know how I love DIY stuff.Sooooo here we go.... DRY sand beach scoop :) Cost -nothing-. One dead ,(never was any good )flashlight casing. View attachment 1581373 Where the pen is will be a 1/2" X 30" rod.Secured with 2 washers & nuts. Or remove the 30" rod & use the attached handle:) View attachment 1581374 Overall 4" Dia. 7" long,5" High.Pretty tough but not brittle, plastic

Ya....I might have to try that ?? Got one of those no good flashlights right here. Good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread