RANDOM FINDS THREAD - Finds you found...any kind...anytime...from anywhere to share.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
October 2015, was metal detecting the "Original" Little League baseball field where the first LL World Series' were held. The site has been hammered over the years by other MDers. I was just beginning to learn about my Compadre and was digging "everything" and finding "everything". One hole produced a large "washer" with a square center hole. Was going to toss it in my trash bucket but decided to take a closer look because of the square hole. I noticed unusual shapes in the metal underneath all the crud. Got it home and soaked it for an hour in distilled water and cleaned gently with a soft toothbrush. Found some interesting markings and a small scratch (my rookie digging technique) that helped me determine it was copper. Another soak in hydrogen peroxide for an hour and gentle brushing produced this............
kan ei tsu ho.jpg IMG_20160410_204947.jpg
Research told me this was a Japanese cast coin form the Meinwa era (1769 to 1820). In a recent thread another poster gave it another name......"kan-ei-tsu-ho".......those are the names of the characters/symbols from (12-6-9-3 o'clock on the coin).
I was curious how that coin came to be in north central PA. I checked to see when Japan first played in the LLWS and found it was in 1962. A quick check of the historical record helped me determine that particular WS was played at the new Lamade Field several miles away and on the opposite side of the river!!
My best guess is that the coin was either dropped by visiting tourists who wanted to see where the first LLWS games were played or it was intentionally buried there for luck.......................

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
October 2015, was metal detecting the "Original" Little League baseball field where the first LL World Series' were held. The site has been hammered over the years by other MDers. I was just beginning to learn about my Compadre and was digging "everything" and finding "everything". One hole produced a large "washer" with a square center hole. Was going to toss it in my trash bucket but decided to take a closer look because of the square hole. I noticed unusual shapes in the metal underneath all the crud. Got it home and soaked it for an hour in distilled water and cleaned gently with a soft toothbrush. Found some interesting markings and a small scratch (my rookie digging technique) that helped me determine it was copper. Another soak in hydrogen peroxide for an hour and gentle brushing produced this............
View attachment 1299691 View attachment 1299690
Research told me this was a Japanese cast coin form the Meinwa era (1769 to 1820). In a recent thread another poster gave it another name......"kan-ei-tsu-ho".......those are the names of the characters/symbols from (12-6-9-3 o'clock on the coin).
I was curious how that coin came to be in north central PA. I checked to see when Japan first played in the LLWS and found it was in 1962. A quick check of the historical record helped me determine that particular WS was played at the new Lamade Field several miles away and on the opposite side of the river!!
My best guess is that the coin was either dropped by visiting tourists who wanted to see where the first LLWS games were played or it was intentionally buried there for luck.......................

That is sooo weird!! I, also, found a Chinese coin down at the old LL fields. It looks exactly like yours. I'm gonna have to dig it out and research it. More than likely, the same set of circumstances for it being dropped where it was....:dontknow:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1299691 View attachment 1299690

Respectfully, I think it is a Ch'ing (Qing) dynasty, dating from 1644-1911.
See webpage with description (and pictures), scroll down thru that dynasty
till you see yours (upside down)
Chinese Coins

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this Three Merry Widows tin years ago. I've seen these posted on here before, but never with the "item" still inside. Nasty and interesting...but mostly nasty lol ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461562985.850110.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461563018.093979.jpg

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Respectfully, I think it is a Ch'ing (Qing) dynasty, dating from 1644-1911.
See webpage with description (and pictures), scroll down thru that dynasty
till you see yours (upside down)
Chinese Coins

I'm definitely not an authority on foreign coins, let alone Asian varieties............
Thank you for the link. I looked through the varieties, but did not see any with the 11 waves on the reverse. Still, it may be just as you indicated..............

wpsgta1000

Jul 17, 2013
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the early 1960's I was about 9 years old. I seen a very small square of green paper behind a store. When I unfolded it I was shocked to see it was a hundred dollar bill. Back then that would of been more then a weeks wages for most people.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this Three Merry Widows tin years ago. I've seen these posted on here before, but never with the "item" still inside. Nasty and interesting...but mostly nasty lol View attachment 1304327 View attachment 1304328

Yours is in great shape, for-not-being-squashed-flat-as-its-a-dug-relic-and-all...! :thumbsup:
The contents may have helped keep the shape of the tin, allowing you to separate
the two halves, to find a surprise inside...!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found him last weekend for a quarter at an estate sale. Just because. His name is Rufus the Rebel Dog.

DSC05564 (692x1024).jpg

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in a cave with my Garrett ADS 3 on Guam back in the early 80s. It was located about 80 feet from a rubble pile where an obvious explosion had occurred. all 1015.jpg

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yup I've seen others post them before.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AARC: In the 1960's I was searching a local beach that had an old bath house on it. When I began searching 2 Nuns called me over and asked the usual questions. After answering them they said they would say a prayer to St Francis that I find something. As God is my witness about 10 minutes later I found a 1940's Andre' Bouchard Watch. I ran over and showed it to them. They were happy. I told them, "see that, God does answer prayers." They said "We Know." It's one of my fondest memories. PEACE:RONB

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AARC; In 1988 I found a Viking Chieftains Sword from the Battle of Broughe, England.It was fought in 912AD. I donated it to the local Museum. I don't have the Right to take a true treasure from the people. They put my name on the ID Plaque. PEACE:RONB

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, not my find, my 40+yr-old son spotted it one day, looked unusual, so picked it up.
Its a miniature stove lid for a little wood stove!
No embossing or initials or dates that I can see.... sorry!
Cool find, though...!
PICT5549.JPG
PICT5550.JPG

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
a silver nugget found while detecting a old house site P1100047.JPG P1100046.JPG

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
a copper brooch i found detecting P1100033.JPG P1100032.JPG

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this buckle in a South Carolina swamp 14 years ago. It was identified on this site recently as a late 1600's to early 1700's baldric buckle. It is my oldest find to date.

2018-02-14 04.58.58.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread