OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a 1983 quarter Balboa.

I was amused by the Cuba coin from 2000. I never see anything from Cuba.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I was amused by the Cuba coin from 2000. I never see anything from Cuba.

My mom's friend went to Cuba, and apparently brought me back some coins. What you have is visitors/convertible coinage, which is on par with the US dollar. I have a similar one to the one you have. Cubans can use it to get virtually anything, so it is good to tip them with this. What Cubans get paid with is the regular peso, which has a worse exchange rate, and can only buy basic needs. I don't have any from those.

Convertible:

054_001.jpg

Regular peso:

15449071-cuban-peso-coins-isolated-on-white.jpg

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom's friend went to Cuba, and apparently brought me back some coins. What you have is visitors/convertible coinage, which is on par with the US dollar. I have a similar one to the one you have. Cubans can use it to get virtually anything, so it is good to tip them with this. What Cubans get paid with is the regular peso, which has a worse exchange rate, and can only buy basic needs. I don't have any from those.

Convertible:

054_001.jpg

Regular peso:

15449071-cuban-peso-coins-isolated-on-white.jpg
Oh wow, I have that one that looks like a V nickel, and its dated 1963. I got it in change last year, i think its made of aluminum, its super light

I see you did manage a 63 quarter...Ive still yet to find a silver that large in the reject trays

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh wow, I have that one that looks like a V nickel, and its dated 1963. I got it in change last year, i think its made of aluminum, its super light

It is aluminum, seems to be the favorite metal of Communist countries, as I have lots of aluminum coins from my uncle, who is Polish and passed me down his collection. It's worth between a dime and a quarter. I have the same coin, except it's pre-Castro and from 1920.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New one today. No idea what it is.

Attachments

• image-1476429630.jpg
    image-1476429630.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 139
  • image-2074230191.jpg
    image-2074230191.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 151

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these coinstar finds or the machines inside of the banks? I'd it just sitting in the tray for all to see or do you have to look up inside some how?

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best I've done is a wheat. Usually they're empty, and most of the time that's because the machine is broken.

I did see one couple feeding the CS machine on Christmas Eve. It was throwing out a ton of coins. I did my thing, then hung around a bit waiting on them to leave. After a while, too long to stand around, I got the idea that they were going to be there a while. I decided since it was Christmas Eve, I'd educate them on their coins rather than creep the store and snipe the couple. They were very appreciative. Too bad I'd passed out all my "secrets of CRH" brochures or I'd given them one of those too. :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the reject tray finds are in bank coin machines, but I go to one coinstar machine from time to time and have found a few coins around the machine. I've also had bank coin machines shoot out rejects while my coins were being counted, even though they were coins I didn't put in. I've seen the inside of bank coin machines when tellers change bags, and there are usually coins in the reject tube on the way to the reject tray, or just sitting around in random places in the machine.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few pesos and canadian cents. Everyonce in a while I will come across something from central america. I rarely find anything in these machines. Do you guys happen to see people at the machine and just wait until they are done? Also I have noticed when I use the coin star machine that they reject stuff I didn't have in my change so they must of been stuck in there.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty sure this coin is from Taiwan. My dad found one a few weeks ago. Copying the picture didn't work. I was talking about CC-Hunter's coin.

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arno, most of the time it's just walking by. If I see someone using the machine, I'll wait a little bit if I can and check the tray.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a public coin machine at a bank here in Minnesota, ever. In fact, most of them require you to have an account in order for them to run the coins for you [in the back room] and many places will only run coins certain days of the week. [I do not CRH]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread