Range of sluice box drop

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
So through my research I've found that the recommended drop for a sluice is 1" per foot and then adjust it from there.

What would be a good range of adjustment for a 8' sluice? I'm thinking + or - 6". Or maybe 8" of adjustment so I could get 2" per foot of drop if needed?

I don't want to weld up my frame and end up not being able to drop the sluice enough and have to cut it apart and re-weld it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Thanks prospectordamon, I have read it but it recommends 3" per foot for angle iron riffles which seems a bit steep to me. The study is was for commercial use and I'm sure its designed for processing much more material then my 8". I'm still going to use there recommended riffle design though along with the perfect expanded metal I found at a local steel yard. I'm thinking 5" + or - over the 8" drop for my 8' sluice will be suffecient.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget that your going to have the weight of the water and dredge material forcing down on the end of the dredge.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
jog said:
Don't forget that your going to have the weight of the water and dredge material forcing down on the end of the dredge.

Yep, if the end of my dips lower then i expect then all I need to do is adjust it up. Adjusting it down is where I will have limited space.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread