Rant about pennies

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always defended the need for pennies in circulation but after nearly 4 years of metal detecting I have changed my view. They are the vein of my existence and should no longer be produced.

Today I got permission to hunt the yard of a beautiful old house that should produce some silvers but once I started digging I quickly realized it must have $15 in both copper and zinc pennies scattered everywhere. It was so bad I was only digging the dime tones and still getting copper Lincoln Memorial pennies.

I'm now all for discontinuing the production of pennies so we can start cleaning them up, they are more prevalent than trash in some places, and the zinc ones are literally nothing more than pollution.

I HATE PENNIES!!!!!!

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennies have a bigger "halo" in the ground than silver coins. Gold coins have almost no "halo". Many metal detecting and treasure hunting books talk about this. Interesting reading.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I just get tired of digging them and needed to vent.

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not alone, Icewing!

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just cashed in my pennies and if I account for the crusty zinc ones that nobody will take I've dug over Five Thousand of the little *******s. It's no wonder why they get on my nerves so much.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I know the feeling Icewing. Problem is that people have more pennies than any other coin. It's still cash and I do get a wheat occasionally. Your property should turn up something after a while. Consider my 1860's permission. Not a single coin yet, which is weird after they raised 20 children(rumored).

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pennies: A Knights Templar Plot! 😛

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good thing about the Zincolns is that they will eventually deteriorate to dust (at least around these parts) and hopefully the halo will disappear with them.

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
I still dig up old pull tabs even though this area has been getting hit for many years. Just like with the tabs, you have to clean out the trash before you can get to the good stuff. Eventually they will be cleaned up and your blood pressure can settle and you can hit the clad coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread