Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. . . I'll bet some of those "barbed" signals sounded deep & sweet too :P

OP
OP
B

BigDan

True about the collectability

I did get one good piece, the rest were actually broken barbs themselves.

You know, I got out of the town and was looking for a specific house with some history to it. I've got a tavern, livery stables, a store, all sitting in a nice, clean beanfield ( And I know exactly where they sat.) and instead I'm walking the corn rows where I can't even see the surface finds guessing as to where the house was.

But, it's still the equipments fault! There ought to be a buzzer for when the operator picks a hard place to hunt. This has been an "instinct" of mine...to always try the hardest places.

Alright, next time I'm hitting the tavern location. Maybe a good day of relics will help me to quit complaining.

By the way, thank you guys for being a sounding board for me. I know I don't find the cool stuff like some of you...but I do enjoy this so much. And it gives me someone to "talk to" about how things went.

Big Dan

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't even talk to me about barbed wire. I brought a pouch full home yesterday.
I'm feelin' your pain.

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Hey, barbed wire was invented just a few miles west of me. But I haven't found any yet. ('cept for the knocked down, semi-buried fence on the back of my property, in the treeline no less. Used to be part of a 1800's farm before we built the house in the 70's)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
One of those barbs at an inch deep can almost completely hide a seated dime three inches deeper in the right (or wrong) soil conditions.

Don't worry so much about them as what they're hiding!

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BigDan keep hunting for those ghost town coins, they will surface soon. BTW does your ghost town have a name? Would it be Lightsville maybe? I heard that Lightsville (in northern ILL.) is now only a few house. Once was a town.

OP
OP
B

BigDan

Dirt fishing wolf

I sent you a PM with the name of the town. I have read posts by, and trust, alot of people on the board...but don't want some lurker bothering the land owners for permission.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Re: True about the collectability

BigDan said:
There ought to be a buzzer for when the operator picks a hard place to hunt.
Now that would be nice!

Keep at it - from what I've seen, some of the best finds require the most work. There are lucky breaks, but to consistently bring it home, ya gotta go to work! Have you tried a smaller coil in those iron infested areas?

I'm glad you're enjoying the hunt!

OP
OP
B

BigDan

Newbie question

What will a smaller coil do different?

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
What kind of detector are you using, Dan? I use a Minelab, and I find that a small EXcelerator coil is great for high trash areas. I've hit areas that have loads of garbage with a stock coil and found nothing. When I hit it again with the small EXcelerator coil, good coins turn up that I couldn't find before. They have a way of picking through the trash because if their size. I know I'm not the only one to experience this. Of course you can't cover as much ground as you can with a bigger coil, but for me, it's paid off in good coin finds. I carry it with me and use it only in certain types of areas - the ones with loads of metal in the ground.

OP
OP
B

BigDan

Right now, I've got an ACE 150

And I'm digging every signal. I'm after the iron anyway, so no biggie. I've dug up coins in my yard. I have also found a couple buttons in the ghost town.

I'm sure it's mostly a matter of learning. I'm getting better, my holes are getting smaller. I'm going to do a little practice in the yard with various objects and get used to the machine's reactions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread