🥇 BANNER Rare 1600s Latten Spoons, Georgian Shoe Buckle, 1797 LC, My Best Relics Ever

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was a crazy day. I've been making plans to get to an incredibly early site for months now. But it's a very tough place to get to and several factors have to be considered including tides, wind, boat size, and peoples schedules. Today everything lined up with the exception of the wind. It was blowing pretty darned hard but I had my mind made up. The big problem is that you need a fairly small boat to get to this location but you've got to go across mikes of open ocean....very nasty and unpredictable ocean. Small boat and open ocean is a recipe for disaster and that's almost what happened. We left the wharf around 5 am and quickly realized that it was very rough out there. But me being me and having a strong desire to get there we pressed on. The waves suddenly got big and started to break over the bow. The boat was going straight up and slamming down. I thought we were done for....all for some treasure lol. We managed to navigate to an island that was close by and seek shelter. We stayed tucked behind the island for about an hour and a half. Suddenly the sky turned blue and the wind began dying down. I had already given up all hope of getting to my dream site and then suddenly we were able to get back on course. A few miles later and we arrived safely.
This particular spot has been hit with some terrible storms and the trees were payed down everywhere. A crisscrossed and tangled up mess. I almost just left because I saw no way of detecting in that mess. But after the effort to get there I figured we'd give it a shot. It was tough just walking and maybe 8% of the ground was huntable. I quickly found a couple of buttons and a copper coin. Eventually I got to what I thought was a very early homes site. I got a very very deep high tone and eventually got my fingers on an object. I could feel that it was a spoon bowl and was shocked when I pulled it out. An incredible complete 17th century Latten spoon. Likely mid 1600s. I think I've maybe seen one of these dug and it was my good pal Bill D. I was elated and super happy. A few minutes later I got a similar signal and dug another super deep hole. Out came another complete spoon even nicer than the first. Complete and with whati believe is a strawberry or pineapple knop. Amazing!
I unfortunately didn't have much time to hunt by the time I got out there and had to leave soon. On the way out I dug a really cool Georgian shoe buckle. I also found a destroyed matron head and an 1876 Canadian cent in very rough shape. Last night I dug a KG and a nice 1797 LC.
On the drive home I called George(Vino) and told him I was so psyched about the spoons. He didn't sound too impressed lol. So when I got home I texted him some pics and my phone rang instantly. He was blown away at the pics. I also contacted Bill D and he was really happy for me. I love having buddy's to share this stuff with. My gf wasn't too thrilled about 2 dirty old spoons lol.
I know some people won't think much of these spoons but I cant begin to explain how incredibly happy I am to have found these amazing 17th century relics. Behind the tree coin these are my favorite finds ever. Thanks for looking and listening to my rambling guys.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 72

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sincere Congrats my Friend!!! Iam so happy for you..
If only i had half the zeal that you do, lol.
Its funny how we were talking about finf stuff we never even thought about..
Can you imagine what else is out there we have even thought about..
You know whats next right???

Attachments

• 1432420303505.jpg
    1432420303505.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 94

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well just one question Brother. Do you think this metal detecting hobby is gonna pan out for ya? You just keep finding all this really old stuff that most of us have never seen. The Piney coin thing probably won't even work in a vending machine, and I have yet to see any really cool stuff like a functioning Zippo. I mean really, you find some of these coins I haven't even seen before. .....

All kidding aside my friend, I have no words to express how happy I am for ya. Those countless hours of research, and your crazy no-fear approach, have rewarded you with numerous relics that many of us would categorize in our "best find" category, and you just keep producing. PLEASE don't drown before I get there. ha ha Congrats and HH.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds!! I can't help but think that there is going to be another tree coin in your future! Continued success to you!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some amazing relics and coins- congrats on the well-deserved banner, Abe! But listen- don't deprive us out here who are living vicariously through your posts by getting drowned in the Atlantic Ocean. I hope you were at least wearing a life vest- and your detector was packed in a floating case of some sort? :laughing7:

I'm fearless but I always wear protection:laughing7: there's a tree coin on that little rock. I will find it

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Abe. Sounds like you had quite an adventure. The fact that Vino was impressed makes the spoons a banner find for sure! Lol

Thanks Rick. The funny part is that I talked to George and he was like "oh that's nice Abe." He was thinking "what the hell is wrong with this dude? Really he's excited about spoons?" Then he got the pics and was like "Wow man those are incredible....Banner" pictures worth 1000 words sometimes

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's mass bay colony stuff right there:notworthy: that will be hard to top,you're at the time limit:headbang:

Yup it's likely not going to get older than this. I'm honored to have a couple of coins and relics from this time period. Time to build a 1600s display

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A worthy BANNER and a great story. Respect from across the pond!!:notworthy:

Thanks buddy. Not easy to impress you guys but I knew this would be a worthy candidate

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sincere Congrats my Friend!!! Iam so happy for you..
If only i had half the zeal that you do, lol.
Its funny how we were talking about finf stuff we never even thought about..
Can you imagine what else is out there we have even thought about..
You know whats next right???

My man! Yep that NE Shilling shall be mine one day. I won't rest until I find it

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well just one question Brother. Do you think this metal detecting hobby is gonna pan out for ya? You just keep finding all this really old stuff that most of us have never seen. The Piney coin thing probably won't even work in a vending machine, and I have yet to see any really cool stuff like a functioning Zippo. I mean really, you find some of these coins I haven't even seen before. .....

All kidding aside my friend, I have no words to express how happy I am for ya. Those countless hours of research, and your crazy no-fear approach, have rewarded you with numerous relics that many of us would categorize in our "best find" category, and you just keep producing. PLEASE don't drown before I get there. ha ha Congrats and HH.
My good buddy from the south. You know you have an open invitation to my stomping grounds. You find my Mass silver I'll kill you bro lol

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab — Safe bet that what you pulled on that one hunt won’t ever be seen again on T-Net. One intact spoon is incredibly rare, but two spoons? That’s a unique achievement. Those who concentrate on the early colonial stuff know how hard it is to recover these specific finds intact. I’ve found my share of fragments but can only hope to someday find a complete specimen. Congrats to you. You deserve such stellar finds for all you time and effort. You’re clearly putting in time on research and reaping your just rewards. Those spoons are tangible evidence of the earliest colonial settlements from when the English were just establishing a foothold in North America. How cool is that? Way to go! :notworthy::icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:Now get back there and hammer that place!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Ahab8,

Congratulations on the fantastic historical 17th century spoons, they are beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing the story and relics.

Doc

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab — Safe bet that what you pulled on that one hunt won’t ever be seen again on T-Net. One intact spoon is incredibly rare, but two spoons? That’s a unique achievement. Those who concentrate on the early colonial stuff know how hard it is to recover these specific finds intact. I’ve found my share of fragments but can only hope to someday find a complete specimen. Congrats to you. You deserve such stellar finds for all you time and effort. You’re clearly putting in time on research and reaping your just rewards. Those spoons are tangible evidence of the earliest colonial settlements from when the English were just establishing a foothold in North America. How cool is that? Way to go! :notworthy::icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:Now get back there and hammer that place!

Hey pal I'm glad you saw these. I know there's very few who truly understand the signifigance and rarity of these but you fit sure are one of those. Hope you're able to get into some nice early stuff this season buddy

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Ahab8,

Congratulations on the fantastic historical 17th century spoons, they are beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing the story and relics.

Doc

Thanks buddy I'm happy to share with the awesome Tnet community

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a big spoon fan. I keep all the old ones. I don't have any that old thou. I like artifacts that had a lot of daily use. Those weren't made yesterday! They would look good in a display. Wonder what was on the menu? Glad you made it safely to shore! Having been out on the big water a couple times, I could picture the scene. The oceans had my respect ever since! A Big Congrats!

Luckystiff

May 28, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to ask on my last post/ so please let us know when the Discovery Channel ask you to start your own Detecting show its just a matter of time with all these very Unique finds they'll have you go all over the US trying to find Buried Treasure. LOL. maybe you should carry a GO Pro with you and stream live so we can watch you on your Adventures..

Again congratulations on a Amazing find.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to ask on my last post/ so please let us know when the Discovery Channel ask you to start your own Detecting show its just a matter of time with all these very Unique finds they'll have you go all over the US trying to find Buried Treasure. LOL. maybe you should carry a GO Pro with you and stream live so we can watch you on your Adventures..

Again congratulations on a Amazing find.

Lol they can call but they will be disappointed with the answer. I don't want anything to do with that chaos. My favorite part of detecting these remote sites is that I get to be by myself and just have some peace and serenity. After the chaos of my normal work weeks it's the best feeling. And there's no reason to go detect anywhere else when we've got the best history right here in good ole Maine. I love this state

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing pieces of early history

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds Ahab!!! Not just the spoons and buckle (I LOVE that buckle!) but so many of your other finds you've made! Living in the Pacific NW, where even seated coins seem very rare to me, I can't imagine the excitement that you and others on the East coast must feel when finding such old early colonial finds, especially such personal items of every day life!

I really enjoy (and envy!) reading about your colonial finds and seeing the photos that you and others post so thanks! I make it out to Maryland once a year to visit in laws and last year was my 1st time I've ever been able to swing a coil over "old soil" so perhaps one day I'll get lucky with an old find, I love the really old coins as well, especially silver, and obviously gold lol but for now those are finds I read about here and in the magazines. Keep up the good finds, I love reading about them and seeing the photos! Stay safe, that big water, small boat combo isn't for everyone, me included! Congrats!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds Ahab!!! Not just the spoons and buckle (I LOVE that buckle!) but so many of your other finds you've made! Living in the Pacific NW, where even seated coins seem very rare to me, I can't imagine the excitement that you and others on the East coast must feel when finding such old early colonial finds, especially such personal items of every day life!

I really enjoy (and envy!) reading about your colonial finds and seeing the photos that you and others post so thanks! I make it out to Maryland once a year to visit in laws and last year was my 1st time I've ever been able to swing a coil over "old soil" so perhaps one day I'll get lucky with an old find, I love the really old coins as well, especially silver, and obviously gold lol but for now those are finds I read about here and in the magazines. Keep up the good finds, I love reading about them and seeing the photos! Stay safe, that big water, small boat combo isn't for everyone, me included! Congrats!
Thanks McClod. It's a real honor to be able to drive 15 minutes and be at a 17th century site. It's really incredible when you pull out a 350 year old piece of history that looks like you could put it back in use today. I hope one day you find something amazing on one of your trips to the east coast

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread