RARE 1796 nice large cent liherty error coin

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
I didn't know what i had till i got home and cleaned up. I knew i had a large cent but didn't check it out right away. Rinsed off with water and got the date, was i surprised 1796. than looked up in book and seen different ones. That's when i seen it liberty was spelled wrong, its an H instead of the B. Do i try to clean up OR leave just as is has wonderful detail. The story me and a buddy found a grassy field that was sold and getting ready for new houses to be put up. i myself like back corners of fields, well tree line on both sides . I noticed a couple pine trees in back corner out of place. started hunting right edge and hit some flat buttons. I came across a Indian head penny, than about 20 minutes into hunt found this large, i knew what it was but didn't clean up wanted more lol. Also got rough hibernia and flying eagle. And than you know the rest of the story. thanks for all your input and great comments. I would like to know where to get cleaned and graded from if anyone can help me.

Attachments

• mark 030.JPG
    mark 030.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,600
  • mark 031.JPG
    mark 031.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,596
Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
JerDfx said:
That's a really great coin.

I would agree soak it and be real gentle with it. I think it would clean up well though in a cold peroxide solution and a gentle tooth picking.

HH Jer
I wouldn't risk using peroxide with this coin..could loss alot of detail...just stick with the distilled water

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats . :thumbsup:. Do you have a story that goes with finding the coin ??? Like to here it .:icon_pirat:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JerDfx said:
That's a really great coin.

I would agree soak it and be real gentle with it. I think it would clean up well though in a cold peroxide solution and a gentle tooth picking.

HH Jer

Agree. I would have had the sucker in the hp before I even kicked my boots off. I've never really needed to toothpick something I've used the peroxide on so would pass on that part. I'm quite sure it wouldn't be needed on that one anyway. (Looks like a very quick easy clean)

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you stab that coin with your digging tool? If so, then it won't matter whether or not you clean the coin. If you do, use the peroxide method mentioned.

Nice find.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess time will tell what you'll do with it. Hope you post it up once it's cleaned.
Either way it's a very sweet find. The vote is in. :headbang:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1796 Draped bust LIHERTY error coin !! You have my vote ! A BANNER FIND !! awesome !!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
phantomfinder said:
Don't clean it ??? ??? buyers want it that way , It's wroth more like it is :wink: WTG on the coin :icon_thumleft:
they don't want dirt on it.. all the ways that most of us suggested will take the dirt off but keep the coin looking aged with patina

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's what I'm talking about. Congratulations
on a fanstic find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread