RARE 1916 D MERCURY DIME

Swanie1

May 6, 2003
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & XL500 SEAHUNTER-PULSE
A number of years ago I was detecting in a park, here in the Midwest, and popped up this 1916D mercury dime in the outfield of the ball diamond. At that time, I didn't know enough about caring for silver coins so I decided to clean it Also, notice the two nicks I made with my poker. What a dummy!!! I haven't had it slabbed, yet, but does anyone have an idea what it's worth in this condition? It's still a good looking dime.

Attachments

• 1916DMerc(side1).jpg
    1916DMerc(side1).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 689
  • 1916dMerc(side2-2).jpg
    1916dMerc(side2-2).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 746
  • 1916DMerc(side1).jpg
    1916DMerc(side1).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 482
  • 1916dMerc(side2-2).jpg
    1916dMerc(side2-2).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 509

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With those pics you'd do very well, but whether the buyer would be pleased could be another story. What you do have in your favor is when a coin is cleaned in an extremely harsh way it's almost impossible to shoot without showing the scratches... so even though you cleaned it, it doesn't appear to have created catastrophic damage. That being said, I'm guessing you did use something abrasive opposed to a dip which would have been a lot more gentle. Regardless, if it looks close to as good as the pic it's still a great coin. (It's still a great find no matter what)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin, don't see how scratches would effect a dug coin as they would be expected. The toning looks nice on your pictures, but your never gunna get the value of a undug vf coin, but I would have said the value would be the high end for a dug coin.

SS

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I would says it worth a Good Down Payment on an Excaliber

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,ve been told that when you clean a coin it's only worth half of what the red book says.I hope i'm wrong.Great find anyway.:thumbsup:

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The style of the D looks right and it's hard to tell from the pictures but the positioning of the mint mark looks a tad bit off. There really is no way of knowing the authenticity of the coin unless you send it off to PCGS or NGC. I would stay away from cheap grading companies that do not have an established repertoire. Keep in mind as well that although some think all grading companies are the same if it does come back as a genuine coin that a PCGS coin will be worth just a tad but more than an NGC coin and much more valuable then an ANACS or NGC slab. Most coin dealers out there will be willing to pay a little more for a PCGS graded coin on an ultra rarity than some unknown grading service. Hope some of this helps. Oh and as for value I think it would be worth more than $1000 once it is slabbed. I will tell you they will not assign a grade to the coin do to the fact it has been cleaned and it was damaged with your poker, it will come back in a genuine holder. We have a 1916 D in our inventory that is PCGS genuine with VF details and retail on it is $2200.00 I believe we paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $1800 or $1900 for it. Our buy sell spreads are pretty tight. In my honest opinion I think your coin has far better detail than the coin we have more like XF detail. I attached a picture and link to it so you can get an idea. Hope this is helpful info and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to email or give me a call.

Northern Nevada Coin: Carson City Dealers Specializing in Rare Carson City Gold and Silver Coins

Attachments

• CX383.jpg
    CX383.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 295
  • CX393.jpg
    CX393.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 270

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Not sure I could go XF or even VF on this coin. I see the 2 dinks, and a third I don't think you see near the top obverse.

I'd take additional photos, just because the rims at 3 and 9 look wider, and shouldn't be.

A great coin find: worthy of including as your avatar. Thanks for sharing it.

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will have to say the pictures don't do the coin justice. After zooming in on the coin both obverse and reverse the more I am leaning toward the possibility of it being a fake. For one on the reverse underneath the "TED" in UNITED it appears to have tooling marks in the field. Second on the blade of the fasces there is what appears to be like an indentation or bubble. And I'm not liking the surface in general it almost looks pitted or like an acne type surface. This all may be due to the camera lighting or shadowing. The bottom line is until you get it in front of a reputable expert there is no way by pictures you can 100% authenticate this as a genuine coin. Good luck! let us know what you find out on it.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread