dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
By Sahir Pandey

Polishing Stone.jpg

Dr. Hayley Roberts, Jim Rylatt and Dr. Anne Teather from Past Participate found the polishing stone at the Valley of Stones in Dorset.

A “vanishingly rare” polishing stone called a polissoir has been uncovered by a team of volunteers in the Valley of Stones national nature reserve in Dorset, England. This extraordinary 5,000-year-old find was once used to sharpen tools and weapons like axes.

This is only the second ever instance of an “earthfast” polissoir found in England, meaning that it was firmly embedded in its original position! The ancient polishing stone was initially mistaken for an ordinary rugged boulder amidst a cluster of others, but the stone's distinctive smooth and glossy dip betrayed its exceptional nature.

Polishing Stone 1.jpg

The polishing stone, or polissoir, has a distinctive glossy dip where stone axe heads were once polished 5,000 years ago.

Polishing Stones: Important Tools Employed by Our Early Ancestors
Polissoirs, also known as polishing stones, were crucial tools employed by Neolithic Stone Age communities to perfect the sharpness and effectiveness of their axes. The term polissoir is derived from the French word for “polisher,” reflecting the fact that a large number of these artifacts have been found in France.

It is believed that the polissoir in question was situated near a historic thoroughfare, suggesting it may have served as a destination for axe polishing and stone head axe making rather than a settlement site, reported The Guardian .

Polissoirs are typically elongated stones with a smooth and polished surface, often displaying distinctive wear patterns. They were crafted to provide a suitable surface for honing and polishing stone tools, enhancing their cutting edges and overall efficiency. Neolithic people would rub the tool against the polissoir's surface in a back-and-forth motion, gradually refining its shape and sharpness.

The unearthing of this precious artifact occurred as volunteers were diligently clearing vegetation to reveal hidden sarsen stones in the area. Dr. Anne Teather and Jim Rylatt, directors of Past Participate CIC , a non-profit organization focused on local heritage exploration, chanced upon the polissoir while overseeing operations in a different section of the valley. The discovery was made in the designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty during a heritage project they were overseeing.

Polishing Stone Discovery Reveals a Stone Age Work Station!
“It’s a relatively unprepossessing boulder on one side,” said Rylatt, who first spotted the the polishing stone by flicking away some leaves and chancing upon the shiny surface. “It’s safe to say I was surprised. The only other one found in situ in England was found in the 1960s at Fyfield Down [in Wiltshire].”

“There are more imposing stones here but this one ticked the boxes for them. They must have spent many hundreds, thousands of hours polishing here,” he said, as he envisaged the work going on at the site over 5,000 years ago.

Teather speculated that the site could have functioned as a workspace rather than a residential area, proposing activities such as animal skin processing and meat preparation. Notably, the polissoir's proximity to an ancient path reinforces the notion that people would congregate at the stone to refine their axes, indicating it was a site of utility and transit.

During the Neolithic era , stone axes played a pivotal role in the lives of early farmers, serving purposes such as clearing woodlands and constructing dwellings or monuments. These axes were crafted using diverse raw materials like flint, volcanic tuff and granite. Evidence suggests that stone axes were widely circulated during prehistoric times, potentially through trade networks or as personal possessions carried from distant quarries.

“The stones would have been extremely important to Neolithic people, as without axes they could not have cleared woodland and farming would have been impossible,” explained Rylatt. What also caught their fancy was that that the boulder was made out of sarsen stone, the same hard form of sandstone material used to make the Stonehenge, reported the BBC

Polishing Stone 2.jpg

Stones scatter the earth in the Valley of Stones in Dorset, England.
.​

Analysis: What Does the Polishing Stone Discovery Mean?
Following the discovery of the polissoir, meticulous excavations and specialized analyses were conducted in the vicinity to determine if any remnants of the individuals who crafted the stone axes were still present. Polissoirs can either be earthfast or portable, with France being a significant hub for such finds, reported Planet Radio .

The Valley of Stones , with its rich archaeological heritage, continues to dazzle archaeologists and historians alike. The current polissoir is not going to be taken to a museum. Instead it will be left where it was found and the area surrounding it will be excavated and analyzed.

SOURCE 15 JULY, 2023 - 18:49

Upvote 10
OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Could have pulled it out of the air, their rear or a gut feeling. Or a scientific method which they did not elaborate on in the column.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d like to know how they date that to 5,000 yrs ago? Next they’ll tell us it was a ceremonial site used only by nobles and kings.
Agreed... i mean these #'s they always come up with make me chuckle.

Especially when its a rock in an open field... for all they know even 500 years is / was too much... for 400 years ago someone may have done it just as possibly.

Sheesh 200 years ago for that matter.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that the #'s are a direct correlation to the amount of a "wow factor" they can derive in an attempt at a end goal of justified approval to the expenditures across many boards...

And lets not forget the obvious goal of acknowledgement and limelight that will be derived from the bigger the wow and intrigue created.

No offense to anyone... just calling it the way it comes across.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
The fact is, they did not say it was that old. They didn't even really try to date it. What was said was, “They must have spent many hundreds, thousands of hours polishing here,” he said, as he envisaged the work going on at the site over 5,000 years ago."
Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 7.01.19 AM.jpg

Reactions: ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact is, they did not say it was that old. They didn't even really try to date it. What was said was, “They must have spent many hundreds, thousands of hours polishing here,” he said, as he envisaged the work going on at the site over 5,000 years ago." View attachment 2099669
Fake news... :P

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So my thought is... once the stone has started to wear out a smooth spot, wouldnt that reduce the sharpening ability, and cause them to move to another stone?

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
So my thought is... once the stone has started to wear out a smooth spot, wouldnt that reduce the sharpening ability, and cause them to move to another
I have a creek full of very old rocks. I envisaged them as being thrown at dodo birds, at one time. Hard to prove I’m wrong.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my thought is... once the stone has started to wear out a smooth spot, wouldnt that reduce the sharpening ability, and cause them to move to another stone?
Nah... this is stone #5... fine grain final stage..... they just forgot to mention the other four other grain level stones....

#1 Course dissolved after 5,500 years..... so that why its not there... as well as the others subsequently every 100 years.

SO.... that means this one .... being left is the last stone left.... at just over 5,000 years old.

SO.... that means it must be persevered and stabilized and sealed in a room and charged admission to view it.... to pay for the cost of housing it and watching it and maintenance of course.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally i think its where the old shepherds sat watching their flocks... butt wear.

clearly... 2,245 ... and a half... years ago.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally i think its where the old shepherds sat watching their flocks... butt wear.

clearly... 2,245 ... and a half... years ago.
In all seriousness, I wore out stones just like that sharpening screwdrivers and sand scoops. :tongue3:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember archeologists once found a place where the bedrock was concave and they assumed it was an early human settlement where Homo Erectus made tools. Later they observed modern monkeys useing the rocks as anvils to break open tree nuts, and it had in fact been them who made the rocks concave through their primitive nut-breaking industry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread