xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doubt any of his jokes could be told here. Let the stand up comedy begin.
I went detecting with my buddy on Sunday. We came upon some cellar holes
of an unknown vintage. I found this coin right off the bat. Then I went on to find
pretty much nothing. This stand up lady made the hunt and it's the best one I've found!
Probably dropped by a hunter as there were lots of bullet casings but who knows.

Attachments

• IMG_6435.JPG
    IMG_6435.JPG
    831.7 KB · Views: 314
Upvote 27
OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru'dad & I call that the kiss of death - silver right at the start. We tend to like to build up to it...lol

I'll take the kiss of death anytime! I try not to set my expectations too high... sometimes it gets the best of me when I don't find anything. I usually tell myself "find one good thing, anything else is icing on the cake!"

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find stax! Congrats!

Has anyone else the appreciation for the incredible art that went into the designs of the old coins? The artist(s) that rendered the conceptions of standing and seated Liberty and Mercury and many others must have been the best that the mint could hire or commission! I'd like to have looked over their shoulder at their private notebooks. Of course they would probably be NCP by todays standards. Imagining Liberty as a beautiful lady is most appropriate!

I once read that Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi, the French artist/sculptor who designed the Statue Of Liberty was once asked what he thought of America and our culture. He thought for a moment and then replied that America was like an irresistibly beautiful woman that chewed tobacco. I can see that.

Thanks for posting and best wishes!------Phil

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find stax! Congrats!

Has anyone else the appreciation for the incredible art that went into the designs of the old coins? The artist(s) that rendered the conceptions of standing and seated Liberty and Mercury and many others must have been the best that the mint could hire or commission! I'd like to have looked over their shoulder at their private notebooks. Of course they would probably be NCP by todays standards. Imagining Liberty as a beautiful lady is most appropriate!

I once read that Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi, the French artist/sculptor who designed the Statue Of Liberty was once asked what he thought of America and our culture. He thought for a moment and then replied that America was like an irresistibly beautiful woman that chewed tobacco. I can see that.

Thanks for posting and best wishes!------Phil

Interesting stuff. It's pretty amazing how much went into making these little works of art. Small tidbit of trivia the sculptor who designed the SLQ went to Mass art here in Boston (I forget his name). I found that out when I took some classes there this past winter. I really like all the coins before the presidential stuff. For some reason I find it to be much more fascinating that the coins had these characters symbolizing ideals in America. The amount of time and revisions etc that went into these coins is pretty amazing as well. It's also really interesting how the first slq's had a naked breast on it which really flipped some people out so they had to change it. Before I ever had a close look at these quarters I thought that it was George Washington standing there. Boy was I wrong! Thanks for your comments!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that kind of archaic thinking still, sometimes, prevailed in the twentieth century. There was an incident during the GW Busch administration in which AG John Ashcroft had a fit over the statue of blind justice, and made someone cover her up.

Mike Pence Drapes Lady liberty at John Ashcrofts command..jpg

And that someone was Mike Pence.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that kind of archaic thinking still, sometimes, prevailed in the twentieth century. There was an incident during the GW Busch administration in which AG John Ashcroft had a fit over the statue of blind justice, and made someone cover her up.

View attachment 1645951

And that someone was Mike Pence.

So you are telling me they probably don't have any 1916 SLQ's in their collections?

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stax, I think that goes without saying! LOL Of all the things to be afraid of. Their mothers must have weaned them with a squirt gun!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stax, I think that goes without saying! LOL Of all the things to be afraid of. Their mothers must have weaned them with a squirt gun!

Squirt guns. Amazing! One has to have great sense of humor these days. Mike Pence goes to hell and he's in a room of greek statues for eternity. Haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread