Rare British 23rd Regt. Prince of Wales Officers' cufflink.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was digging colonial spots this last couple weeks with some success. I still have a lot of material to clean up and want to get back out tomorrow, but this one little item stole the show.

It is an engraved brass British 23rd Regiment of Foot (Royal Welch Fusiiers) cuff link in brass. The device on the cufflink is the armorial coat of arms for the Prince of Wales.

The 23rd served extensively in North America during the Revolutionary War and a lot of their buttons have been found through time.

The cufflinks, however, not so much. The officers would have had these custom made. The cufflink was engraved, so looking at it ignore the browner high spots, as they are wear areas. There are three engraved feathers and a coronet (crown) underneath.

The little hand engraved checkerboard colonial tombac button was found nearby. Lotsa fun. I found about 50 colonial items this week alone. Been busy at work. View attachment IMG_0974.jpg View attachment IMG_0977.jpg Please zoom in for the details.

Upvote 17

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to burst any bubbles, but that historical link is very tentative.

Although it is a cool late 18th C find.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a really cool cuff link. I found a “Welsh plume” saddle shield a couple years back and received a good history lesson on this symbol and how it’s often tied to military. Unfortunately it gets very convoluted due to the fact that it was a very popular symbol in the late 18th and early 19th century. Cuff links are one of my favorite finds

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an interesting little relic! Looking forward to seeing more of your finds from the site.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only found a few cuffllinks ever from the 18th century. I had a great time. The farmer had planted the day before, so it was not a problem. It's amazing how many corn seeds were on top of the ground. Maybe the rain today will wash some in and allow them to germinate. But horror of horrors, the "U" on my keyboard is sticking!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only found a few cuffllinks ever from the 18th century. I had a great time. The farmer had planted the day before, so it was not a problem. It's amazing how many corn seeds were on top of the ground. Maybe the rain today will wash some in and allow them to germinate. But horror of horrors, the "U" on my keyboard is sticking!

Wow! Good thing you’re not a millennial....you’d have to go to therapy for that keyboard issue

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I press my pound sign I now get a # !
Anyways, the Prince of Wales symbol was very popular in the Civilian world, as well as the Military & its associated to several Regiments, not just the one you mentioned. So we will probably never know for sure who wore them.
I've seen a few before but I can't remember getting one myself, so I would be happy to add it to the collection.:occasion14:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it. Today it was a BETTER DAY! Just got home, haven't cleaned up anything yet.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I like it. Today it was a BETTER DAY! Just got home, haven't cleaned up anything yet.

So you are going to clean that up more; will yyou post a picture after you get it done.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddjob, I'm not going to clean it anymore. I have a wad of stuff found this week I haven't had time to do anything with yet.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately I agree with Cru, and too bad as the 23rd has some incredible history. This early officer button was one of my best finds last year and best button finds ever.

Attachments

• 27858618_167485230554089_914344243411248819_n.jpg
    27858618_167485230554089_914344243411248819_n.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 71

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately I agree with Cru, and too bad as the 23rd has some incredible history. This early officer button was one of my best finds last year and best button finds ever.
Nice.
& if the Reg. was commissioning a cuff-link there is no way, even if it was associated to civvy use that they would leave out the no.s

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's the ONLY oval engraved cufflink from the 18th century I have ever found. The cherry pickers missed so much stuff running through that area it wasn't funny. I go slow, that's all I CAN do anymore and I like the artifacts. I don't need another "wasted" copper. They aren't worth squat. I want to go arrowhead hunting SO BAD, don't have a spot right now.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice colonial cuff link Smokey. You’ve been on a tear this week.

Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carolina Tom, that was just Saturday and Sunday. I have been at work since then.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Volunteer colonial royalists militias uniforms where never commissioned by the crown , british army or navy .They were designed and paid for the members of the militia .his was their right under the law. Like civilians had the right to form militias to help protect their colony TP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread