Rare Coin Error?

buckslayer32

Apr 3, 2022
Found this nice large cent at an old site in Ohio. As I was cleaning this among a few other large cents, and I notice instead of “one cent” stamped it is stamped “one ccnt”
I tried researching 1847 large cent coin error but the only error I can find online is where there’s an error on the 1847.
I can’t find any with a “ccnt” stamped error.
Everyone on here seems to be able to research better than I do lol. So any help/info is appreciated!
The coin is in great condition!
IMG_2403.jpeg
IMG_2404.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2406.jpeg
    IMG_2406.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2407.jpeg
    IMG_2407.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 23

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm no expert on large cents but I think your coin may have been modified. Looking at the inside of the second C, there are marks that, to me at least, don't coincide with the rest of the coin's condition. Perhaps someone scratched the 'e' to make a 'C' ? Presumably in the hope of making the coin more valuable.

Like you I couldn't find any existing information on such a known error.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite likely modified, as CoinsAndThings suggested. Could also be unintentional damage, or there was grease or debris filling part of the letter on the die causing it to not strike up properly.

OP
OP
buckslayer32

buckslayer32

Apr 3, 2022
I doubt it’s been modified since i detected/dug it up out of an old farm field.
But I can understand if the stamp had debris in it, that does make sense.
There is a local coin shop I might need to take it there and get it checked out.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recovery on the LC
Seen this posted up before, and it's been altered.
It explains it in this link

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I'm no expert on large cents but I think your coin may have been modified. Looking at the inside of the second C, there are marks that, to me at least, don't coincide with the rest of the coin's condition. Perhaps someone scratched the 'e' to make a 'C' ? Presumably in the hope of making the coin more valuable.

Like you I couldn't find any existing information on such a known error.
Similar to how a hobo nickel gets modified.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were often modified back in the days they circulated so regardless if it was dug that is still the most likely scenario. No matter what it is, it isn't anything that would add any value. Always nice to find large cent no matter what.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Modified coin. Pepperj provided but one reason coins were modified back in the day. Modifying a one cent piece was far cheaper than having tokens manufactured, whatever the purpose.

There is a collector market for such coins. It would be more valuable, however, if it were unmodified.

Time for more coffee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread