Rare Counterstamped Coin

D

doyboy

I went detecting today to an old sled riding hill. So, it being a nice day, Zoyboy(my twin brother) and I decided to hit it. My first find of the day was a Wheatie at 6 inches. But, the highlight of the day was when I pulled an old token out of the ground. I got a "dime" reading at 5 inches deep near an area that my detecting buddies had hit last year. I decided to dig it. After digging many large rocks out of the hole I finally got down to about 6 inches. It was then that I spotted the coin-sized object in the dirt I dug out. It turned out to be an old saloon token. The saloon was called "C.M. Berry Saloon." It was located on the "N.W.C. (Northwest Corner) of 5th & Chestnut." The saloon was based in Philadephia, PA. After further research on this coin, I became enlightened by the fact that I had found a Counterstamped coin. The private merchant, "CM Berry," counterstamped his saloon on a 1771-1812 Spanish 2-Reale. That totally explains the silver content of the coin. I was told by an expert that this coin is "rare" and could fetch "a decent sum of money," so I would sell it if I found a prospective buyer.

Attachments

• Saloon token.jpg
    Saloon token.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum.... very nice find, would love to find one of those. How old are you?, i'm 14

OP
OP
D

doyboy

I am 21 years old. And, yes, it is a rare counterstamped coin. I use a White's Pro XL.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one of the most awesome tokens I have seen found in awhile, great find! I wouldn't sell it but at 21 years I would have sold it, LOL, to many things to do that require cash at your age. HH and hope you get some serious $$$ for it, Mike

S

southbound

Thats one great find! Good luck selling it. Vern

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
DOYBOY, Congrats On An Excellant Find, Good Hunting. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 115.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 115.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 178
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 115.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 115.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 177

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
nice find there. according to Rulau's token book it is worth about 90 bucks in VG. does it say anything on the back? there is one variety that says something about knights mineral water saloon on the back. This one is worth considerably more around 250

Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread