Rare empire bottling works

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
El Paso Texas/Las Cruces New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro. and AT Gold, Nox 800,Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back out today and found these my wife found the empire.:headbang: image.jpg image.jpg

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Bob,

Is that Empire, intact? Why do you call it rare?

I'd like to see better photos, in natural light, after their bath, please.

emp-emb2.gif

"Figure 10 - ...and
the Original Empire
Bottling Works Container"

"Occasionally, searches through newspapers for advertisements can be enlightening. Although collectors and archaeologists had previously assumed that the six-panel, embossed

Figure 23 - Empire Ad from the July 3, 1920 Edition of the El Paso Herald
bottle used by Empire Bottling Works from 1912 to 1924 (See Figure 10) was labeled only with the embossing (which covered the entire bottle), newspaper ads in the July 1920 editions of the El Paso Herald depicted the same bottle with paper labels superimposed on the embossing. Because of the ads, we now know that Empire’s brand was called “Fruit Thrills” (with individual flavors known as Grape Thrills, Orange Thrills, etc.). The paper labels were probably not used on the earlier bottles and may only have appeared in 1920." http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/A%20New%20Twist.htm

empad1.gif

"In fact, Purity merged with the soda division of Houck & Dieter to form Empire Bottling Works."

h&dcr3.gif

"Figure 2 - H & D - Second Crown Bottle"

Empire%20Bottling%20Works%20El%20Paso.jpg
Empire Bottling Works (El Paso) Root Beer - Root Beer World

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bob-E-Pin

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
El Paso Texas/Las Cruces New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro. and AT Gold, Nox 800,Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Surf, thanks for the information you have posted the same articles that I read. I called it rare because the short amount of years that the company produced those bottles with El Paso embossing were limited. I have spoken with other collectors who have not been able to find these intact. I am cleaning the bottle presently and will post more pics .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread