Rare George Washington Halfpenny (Poll added)

What was the most impressive antic during this hunt?

• Jumping electric fences gracefully

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The jovial gibbons dance

• Sprinting away from charging cows

• None

• Total voters
OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Re: Rare George Washington Halfpenny (Update: Info from, Don in SJ)

fiatboy said:
Now, when my family members call me, "Obsessed," I will say, "Get a REAL hobby!" hahahaHAHA
haha. I like the way you think. Besides, it's just so much fun!

I just think a lot of our family members are jealous of our passion (Zoy + Me). Life is too short to worry on trivial pursuits, dudes. Without a hobby, life is super boring.

Ask Paco, he will tell you how "excitable" I get....hahaha...even over the small things. I have to stay away from cotton candy...I act like a child....I get too giddy. hehehe

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax

total respect to da boys in group x91 far out finds big shout for the permisson crack look forward to more of your chop chomping on the finds front massive respect dudes.

In other words well done to all the chaps in your group you all did a tremedous job both in terms of finds and seeking permission. We look forward to hearing more

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250

strike it rich said:
total respect to da boys in group x91 far out finds big shout for the permisson crack look forward to more of your chop chomping on the finds front massive respect dudes.

In other words well done to all the chaps in your group you all did a tremedous job both in terms of finds and seeking permission. We look forward to hearing more
??? ;D

Nickel_Buff1935

Jun 1, 2007
NY
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-Terra 50 & WHITE'S MXT

strike it rich said:

Word...

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Amen to that!

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

We must keep the fever high...tell Silver Zeus that! 8)

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

;D ;D ;D Awsome Find. Way to go

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Paco and I may get back out to the site. It is hit pretty damn hard, but I know there are some Colonials still there.

I wish the kind farmer would cut his crops and till the field. hahaha

I am starting to think something more than a Colonial homestead was on this field. We found 5 Colonials and I know there has to be at least a few more.

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But didn't you say you guys still have 8 of the 10 or so fields to hunt yet? GREAT coin by the way. Yes, hopefully someone finds a Draped wilver or something at the site. That would be awesome.

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Dudes, here is what some other dude sent to my email:

Hi kirk!
This is a magnificent find!!! Although struck in England, these are
actively collected by those interested in Washingtonia. Because of the
corrosion, I don't know that you could get $100 for it. Even if you
attempted to clean it, collectors shy away from cleaned coins and this one
would need harsh cleaning. It's very important in that it was found. Were
other contemporaneous coins found at the site? It could help place the time
it was lost. I'd like to forward your email to a friend - Phil Mossman, who
keeps records of finds like this. I've never heard of one of these being
found by a detectorist - congratulations!!!

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
KirkPA said:
Paco and I may get back out to the site. It is hit pretty damn hard, but I know there are some Colonials still there.

I am starting to think something more than a Colonial homestead was on this field. We found 5 Colonials and I know there has to be at least a few more.
It is hard to say what exactly could have been there..From the research I have done when we found our colonial field....20 acre field along the Kinderhook creek... We found over 200 coins in this field. These coins became virtually worthless over night when the US made their own coins...SO....they were tossed away...Perhaps the homesite that was there was one of a wealthy person who had an abundance of Colonials?? I guess without going back in time you will never know...Just keep digging and finding what is there...I remember when we found our field o coppa.... It was freshly tilled and we were finding them on the surface. Ahh...The memories!!! Oh BTW it paid to be young at that time...I could out run all the old guys to the coins!!! hehe

Good Luck!!!

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
outraged said:
KirkPA said:

It is hard to say what exactly could have been there..From the research I have done when we found our colonial field....20 acre field along the Kinderhook creek... We found over 200 coins in this field. These coins became virtually worthless over night when the US made their own coins...SO....they were tossed away...Perhaps the homesite that was there was one of a wealthy person who had an abundance of Colonials?? I guess without going back in time you will never know...Just keep digging and finding what is there...I remember when we found our field o coppa.... It was freshly tilled and we were finding them on the surface. Ahh...The memories!!! Oh BTW it paid to be young at that time...I could out run all the old guys to the coins!!! hehe

Good Luck!!!

I find it hard to believe that someone would throw coins. I have heard that dudes were carrying Colonials even in the 1800s. You may have come across a tavern or something of high caliber.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

KirkPA said:
coinman66 said:
Are you gonna slab it Kirk? Nice piece o history! HH
Coinman66

I don't think I am going to. What do you suggest?

i wonder if it would be worth it to send it to a coin conservator to have it professionally cleaned? it may come out looking like a million bucks!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
It's great to see people recover these coins. Your coin looks like it held up well for the age. Very nice. Congratulations are in order.

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Mirage said:
It's great to see people recover these coins. Your coin looks like it held up well for the age. Very nice. Congratulations are in order.

Thanks, bud, I appreciate your interest in my coppa. Send my regards to the Berg gang. :)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
very nice who knows you might fimd very old wilver there --- Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread