Rare historical atlas!!!

Dirtminer

May 8, 2012
Candia New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
A new Garrett AT PRO, Discovery 2200 and a Bullseye II pinpointer. Brand New Garrett pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465182142.592451.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465182157.407161.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465182171.106046.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465182194.016981.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465182210.208338.jpg I was at a yard sale yesterday and I always ask if they have any maps. She said I think so and went in to the house and came back out with this. I swear the clouds parted and I heard trumpets. Ok seriously the hair on my arms stood up from my excitement and this is the Nh bible of old maps. She is letting me borrow it but is not ready to sell it yet. The best part is her house has had two fires and this atlas has made it through to my hands!!!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465183077.030954.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465183091.588501.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465183107.996666.jpg so I searched eBay the other day for this Atlas, and there is only one for sale that has been restored and rebound and it is for sale for $3400. Obviously this one is not in that condition. And I've only seen this online never in person which speaks to the rarity of this. I believe they have one here in town at the Fitz museum under glass but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 11

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buddy, you have hit upon a gold mine of info,
enough to be real effective, re-locating some good places to hunt...! :thumbsup:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY MINER THAT ATLAS SURE IS NICE .

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd get a flatbed scanner and copy every page and then burn two or three DVD copies.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can't get a scanner large enough, USE YOUR CAMERA!!

I had the chance to buy an old Plat Book of my area - I think early 1930's or so. Problem is, there was less here then than there is now, and there's nothing here now!:tongue1:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Hope you do photograph the pages if you feel comfortable doing that. Friendly woman to lend it & if she decides to sell it, you could still buy it even though you'd already have the photos. My father's family was among the early settlers in Keene (formerly Upper Ashuelot) New Hampshire. Some years ago, my sister bought each of us a comprehensive book about Keene compiled by the historical society, which included old maps. Family names were Perham & Allen, both have Keene streets named after them, plus the house built by my great-grandfather is still in use, though no longer in the family. I saw the old house when I was young and would love to detect our former homestead if the current owners didn't mind, but I won't be visiting again due to my age. New Hampshire is loaded with history! Andi

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of great information for you to research there; definitely helps for metal detecting. Hopefully she'll sell it to you. Just curious...what makes this atlas "rare"?

aj

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes it rare?
Only one seller on Abe and Bookfinder combined with a FAIR copy at $3,000....
I'd say it's rare! Copy every page you can!
That was nice they borrowed it to you.
Congrats.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Dirtminer

Dirtminer

May 8, 2012
Candia New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
A new Garrett AT PRO, Discovery 2200 and a Bullseye II pinpointer. Brand New Garrett pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize that the maps are available online from historic map works which is the website that I've been using for five years to get my information for digging. However seeing the book in person where all those maps came from this book was pretty exciting. This is why we do what we do. Not so much for the value of things but for the history and the stories that go along with the things we find.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find. I have a similar one from my county dated 1892 also. It is also an original and in much better shape than the one you have. A friend of mine who is now deceased also found it at a tag sale years ago and gave it to me. While the maps are a bit new for the type of sites I prefer to detect I use mine to see what sites were gone in comparison to older maps. Like most of these atlases they have been used for years by treasure hunters to find sites and copies are out there. As you said even in beat up condition they are valuable because outside of libraries few survive. So if you can buy it for a few hundred bucks I'd grab it ....$3400 ...no way.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I realize that the maps are available online from historic map works which is the website that I've been using for five years to get my information for digging. However seeing the book in person where all those maps came from this book was pretty exciting. This is why we do what we do. Not so much for the value of things but for the history and the stories that go along with the things we find.
I see the day coming when every kid alive would get a thrill out of seeing an actual printed book. How scary is THAT!!??!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread