Rare Opalized squid In Australian Desert

travelman11

Greenie
Mar 16, 2005
australia opal fileds

Hey im bragging i just won business award and newspaper article shows picture of me showing off a rare opalised belimite,which u guys know as calmari at the fish n chips shop..
Actually i didnt find this specimen it was my nephew peter n brother paul who spent month in Coober Pedy in South australia,,its real desert town n very hot n dusty..
they knew the opal miner was on good patch specimens but didnt expect to find this rare specimen ,,they were just chasing small say 1/2 inch to inch specimens,u guys know its not what u chase but right time right place
well i get bragging rights dont i cause im holding the specimen...Thanks wayne sedawie
chekc out articel if u wish
http://www.opalauctions.com/media-centre

Attachments

• 24-11-wayne-opal-specimen-0.jpg
    24-11-wayne-opal-specimen-0.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,117
Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Congrats to you, your nephew and your brother. Those are nice specimens. Opalized creatures are always amazing. Read about a turtle shell that was opalized and completely intact but since no one would buy it whole, they broke it into pieces...what a loss. Anyhow, what will become of that piece? Will it sell for thousands or hundreds of thousands?

T

TreasureTales

I see you have a starting bid price of $20,000.00 It will be interesting to see the final bid price. GOOD LUCK. Some rich person is going get a beautiful and unique chunk of opal squid.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion this thread sould be called "COMMERICAL OPAL MINING VENTURE USING RARE FIND TO SELL AND PROMOTE THEIR OWN COMPANY"

"CONGRATULATIONS ON BEING SO ENTERPRISING"

tinpan "Happy Mining" ;D ;D ;D

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
being born in October, I have always been fond of opal. That speciman kicks some major bootie!!!!

CONGRATS!!!

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Welcome to the forum Travelman. Congratulations on your award and on the newspaper article on your find. That is a fantastic specimen. Thank you for sharing it.

Postalrevnant

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowing nothing about fossils would this be purchased for making jewellery or would it be left intact for display only...

OP
OP
travelman11

travelman11

Greenie
Mar 16, 2005
australia opal fileds
G ,day mates,This is really specimen will end up in museum or top private colection and is listed at us$20,000.00
so its so rare ,sometimes you might find one or two of these but not group .
The opal miner knew he was on good patch fossils ,as the potch dirt showed lots small little belimites but no opal colour in them,but didnt expect to find like this .so when sold will be 4 way split.
in aussie if guys help mine they are normally on 10% each of what ever the find is ,so some gusy makes heaps and others work hard for years and dont even make dole money,its tough life in desert to find these opals ...42 degrees today is that about 110 f ? hot dusty n dirty ,but chance to find another one?
cheers wayne

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Not a bad collection there. Some nice colour showing even though theres not a lot of prep work done.

Theres a few of these around the opal auction sites at the moment, most around $20,000 USD.

As you say you are amateurs, take my advice. Spend the money and have it xrayed. As it is, its a nice specimen, but there are a lot similar around, its not as good as the others for the same price. One seems to be a clam not a belemite.

Xray may result in a better price for individual specimens.

It is as though all of coober pedy has struck the same level, or just raising Xmas cash.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one nice find! I saw an opalized shark in a Rock and Gem magazine years ago. I'd love to be able to go there some day. There is a field of sorts here in the states where people find a little "fire" from time to time. Not on the grand scale of the Coober Pedy mines.
THat is some beautiful stuff!!!

HH,
Ramapirate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread