Rare "Shepherd with Flute" (Part of "Happy Farm" Series)

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was pleasantly surprised to unearth this little guy on my hunt with Grant Hansen. He came from the site that has given me the CT Copper and a number of beautiful Colonial relics. Thanks to our resident "toy expert extraordinaire" Subterranean I was able to get an ID on this piece:

"the lead figure that you have a rare "Shepherd with Flute," part of the "Happy Farm" series of domestic characters by the Manoil toy company. They were produced in 1941-1942. The item at the boy's side is his shepherd's crook, and he is playing a horn. Manoil made some of the most detailed, authentic soldiers and characters in the history of American lead toy soldiers."

It appears that his horn and crook are not 100% intact, but the detail on this figure is amazing right down to his eyes. Interestingly enough, he is hollow with two holes in the base, one on the side under his arm, and one on top of his head. It was filled with dirt when found him and I used a toothpick to remove all of the dirt that had settled in the figure over the last 60+ years.

Thanks again to Sub for the ID on this very cool, rare WW II-era figurine!

Attachments

• Happy Farm (left)209.jpg
    Happy Farm (left)209.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Happy Farm (left)210.jpg
    Happy Farm (left)210.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Happy Farm (left)211.jpg
    Happy Farm (left)211.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 2
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you said that, I would have thought a Native American smoking a Peace Pipe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread