Rare surprise while CRH...At least for me

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
My boys and I sat down last night and went through 2 boxes of nickels and a box of dimes. I found the normal stuff but what really surprised me was this 1939 Jefferson. It's in beautiful condition in my opinion and to be pulled out of a box like this is unheard of for me.
I wanted to get some opinions from you guy's/gals on the grade if possible.
I scanned the coin so I hope it come out okay.
nickel.jpg nickel (2).jpg

I did want to mention that under a magnifying glass all steps are crisp and clear on the Monticello

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nearly impossible to grade from scans, sorry.

OP
OP
gunner45

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
bigscores said:
Nearly impossible to grade from scans, sorry.

I know what you mean, every picture i Have is blurred. I will say it has high luster and everything is extremely clean and crisp on it. What little I know I would say based on the pcgs grading app on my iPhone that's its close to ms65

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt think nickels had a collectible value other than buffs and wars. Anyone got a list of thier values?

OP
OP
gunner45

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
sheepdog_tx said:
I didnt think nickels had a collectible value other than buffs and wars. Anyone got a list of thier values?

Yes-eBay
This one has strong steps which are clear and defined

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Using ANA grading standards and the lousy pic provided, I would say AU details. Look for wear on the cheekbone and on the triangular roof above pillars on reverse.

OP
OP
gunner45

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Well I took my nickel to 2 reputable dealers which both have years of experience selling and grading. Both were consistent on their evaluation and compared it with pcgs graded nickels. To say the least, I'm shocked! Without being in collusion with one another they both put it unc ms64
The details are extraordinary with full steps and high cheekbones with no rubbing.
I know the scans I took stink but the coin has high luster
To think this was found CRH has made my day!

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Georgia (And that's as specific as it's gonna get!
Detector(s) used
Eyes and hands, mainly. Sometimes I whip out the ol' sniffer...
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find! I found a '39 a while back at work that was in really nice shape, but not as nice as that beauty. BTW, pre-war nickels (technically anything '48 or before, I think, according to the Red Book) is technically collectible if it's in at least decent shape. Once you get into the '50s, they have to be in Uncirculated shape to be worth more than FV.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gunner45 said:
Well I took my nickel to 2 reputable dealers which both have years of experience selling and grading. Both were consistent on their evaluation and compared it with pcgs graded nickels. To say the least, I'm shocked! Without being in collusion with one another they both put it unc ms64
The details are extraordinary with full steps and high cheekbones with no rubbing.
I know the scans I took stink but the coin has high luster
To think this was found CRH has made my day!

I found a similar condition nickel last month mine was a war nickel though.. Sold mine for 12 bucks!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure its not the "Doubled Monticello" version. Should it be, your ~$10 coin becomes a ~$600 coin.

Adamkir

Aug 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I found two 1940 Nickels with full steps CHR'ing, which is amazing in itself. Must be collection dumps? Your is an absolutely beautiful nickel though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread