Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
007.jpg
I went to a yard sale Saturday and saw a wagon-bed full of cheap glassware, I spotted this four-inch tall Tennessee pottery candlestick mixed in. It was priced $1.00. I knew it was a rare piece of pottery because I had only seen one other like it. I have been offered $400.00 for it. Thanks for looking.
Dman

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's an impressive display of picking finesse

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ka-Ching~ Love to spot treasure like that.What is the time frame?
(I do not mean how long it took Q to get out of the truck)

OP
OP
Dman

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Ka-Ching~ Love to spot treasure like that.What is the time frame?
(I do not mean how long it took Q to get out of the truck)
Tennessee pottery dates to about 1850 to 1890

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I sold it for $500 this afternoon.

Cool piece, find and price! I tend to steer away from pottery pieces and crocks due to the price it seems that everyone wants for them. Maybe I should start looking for or asking the prices!

Frank

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh! Not sure I could ever I.D. a piece like that. Looks like stdio art pottery to me. Are they marked in anyway?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Huh! Not sure I could ever I.D. a piece like that. Looks like stdio art pottery to me. Are they marked in anyway?

Yeah, unless someone has a really good eye and knows what to look for, they could be taken! The piece doesn't seem all that hard to make and then artificially age them to dupe unsuspecting buyers. Add that to the list why I never buy any pottery or crocks.

Frank

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, unless someone has a really good eye and knows what to look for, they could be taken! The piece doesn't seem all that hard to make and then artificially age them to dupe unsuspecting buyers. Add that to the list why I never buy any pottery or crocks.

Frank
I've bought the stuff before, but it'll need a lot of correct indicators about it before I'll be sold on it. I'm thinking shape, color and how this was produce is something you'll need know on these items.

Last edited:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't have even known what I was looking at. hahaha! That's an awesome return for a $1 spent!
WTG!
Nana

OP
OP
Dman

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
They are not marked anywhere. These were made to be used by our ancestors and most were broken or chipped. They made candlesticks all the way up to butter churns. It's pretty rare to find them anywhere but in the South.
Dman

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are not marked anywhere. These were made to be used by our ancestors and most were broken or chipped. They made candlesticks all the way up to butter churns. It's pretty rare to find them anywhere but in the South.
Dman
That is what I was thinking. It's pretty much regional stuff. I think I saw an appraisal of one of these old Tennessee pottery pieces on Antiques Road Show once?. I recall some kind of old pottery from Dixie that was worth a chuck of change. That's a great find and a testament that knowledge is key in this kind of treasure hunting. It's not all just blind luck, as some believe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread