🥇 BANNER Rarest US Silver coin minted in the 20th century found 1901 S Barber Quarter

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys. I initially wasn't going to post this. While I was hunting last week I unearthed literally the rarest US silver coin of the 20th century. A 1901 S Barber Quarter!!!! VF/XF (details) with environmental damages and a few scratches. Yes... It's a crying shame its a "dug" coin... But hey... It's the find of a lifetime. There's no doubt in my mind about it's authenticity. The site it was found at, simply put, hasn't been touched since around 1920. I've also had several local dealers (one of which was a former PCGS grader) tell me it's genuine. I know either way it needs to be graded and slabbed, but what are your thoughts? Value? Grade? Where to sell? Thanks! Still spinning! Idaho! On the map!!!

Attachments

• DSC02765 copy.jpg
    DSC02765 copy.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,236
  • DSC02766_opt copy.jpg
    DSC02766_opt copy.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,096
  • image1-1.JPG
    image1-1.JPG
    911.6 KB · Views: 1,320
  • image2-1 copy.jpg
    image2-1 copy.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 971
Upvote 109

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Smokes, nice score!! Congratulations!

Steve

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys. I initially wasn't going to post this. While I was hunting last week I unearthed literally the rarest US silver coin of the 20th century. A 1901 S Barber Quarter!!!! VF/XF (details) with environmental damages and a few scratches. Yes... It's a crying shame its a "dug" coin... But hey... It's the find of a lifetime. There's no doubt in my mind about it's authenticity. The site it was found at, simply put, hasn't been touched since around 1920. I've also had several local dealers (one of which was a former PCGS grader) tell me it's genuine. I know either way it needs to be graded and slabbed, but what are your thoughts? Value? Grade? Where to sell? Thanks! Still spinning! Idaho! On the map!!!

Awesome find . Don't know if you already know it or have already been informed but for such an amazing find let me say it.... Whatever you do don't try to clean it in any way shape or form . Don't rub it any more than you needed to do to tell what it was. Get any advice from the grading company . I'd use a major one like NGC and if it qualifies a CAC certification is a great idea. Again congrats!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Conratz on the "DREAM" Coin Find.
Ill take Any Barber Coin In Fine Condition .
Being the Worry Wort that I am - I'm 98% sure it's the Real Deal but until it comes back as "Authentic" from a Major Grading Service , that 2% would bother me.
Most likely it's ground Corrosion But the Coins surface has that grainy look ie, some raised areas etc.
Like I said I worry Way to much .:BangHead:

I been burnt by 'assumption ' many times .
The last time was a large 24 inch Rope Gold Chain I found at the Lake Last Week - Looked Good ,Was heavy, The mud rubbed off easy, it just gave a very low VDI on my detector then just told myself the machine is just picking up each link of the chain??
I was one Happy Camper ,when I got home (I have a Very Strong Magnet in the garage ) so I put the chain up to it & it swayed toward it ever so slightly ,'Then my heart Sank'
Turned out it a Designer Christian Dior , "Costume" Gold plated Necklace. :sad10:

All that said , You know your coin, and if you have/ had any doubts I'm sure you have Researched them.
I believe all is Good , So Congratulations On an AWESOME rare Find.
Davers:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I'd still like to hear the story behind the find. The pictures of the coin are great, but paint us a picture with words of how you found it. The stories about the Pine Tree and the Lord Baltimore finds made me feel like I was walking along with Abe and Bill. Congrats on makin' banner!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, its great to see a Barber quarter up on the banner.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations, its great to see a Barber quarter up on the banner.

When I first saw a barber quarter up on the banner I thought "what the heck!". I've posted hammered coins dug in the US from the 1500s and didn't make banner. But when I saw the Red Book prices my jaw just about hit the floor. Guess I've been so consumed with colonial coins I don't have my facts straight with the newer ones. But I'm still a little confused why its worth so much with a mintage of 72,000. Yeah, that's low, but there are quite a few other coins with fewer made that are worth much less. Is there some special circumstances surrounding this coin that I'm not aware of? If anyone knows please chime in.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill , I would guess this "disparity" between mintage and values might have something to do with an ethereal concept called "surviving
populations" of course the 64 thousand dollar question is who can be sure how many of what issues really survive ?- especially
in light of numerous historic meltdowns of U.S. silver coins . Another good example of this disparity exists in the Indian Head cent
series between the 1877 and the 1909 -S .

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A BIG CONGRATS DOC!!!! Simply amazing find. :occasion14:
Merry Christmas, and if you do decide to sell it can you use some of the money to pay some scantily clad girls to be in your future videos? Just an idea. :tongue3:
YOU are the Man!!!!
-Doug-

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thanks for the banner guys! Story up till now goes like this. By buddy and I went out and were having a hard time getting permissions. Finally at the end of the day we ended up at this site as a last resort. We hunted for about an hour or two with nothing. I kept pulling rope rivet holes from those old canvas tarps. I got a good screaming high signal from off the beaten path. Popped the plug and pinpointed the hole. Out came another rivet. I knew that wasnt what I was hearing so I probed the hole again... nothing. Pinpointed the plug and got the signal. Right about then a big chunk of the plug fell off exposing the coins face. I yelled! Coin!!!! Bigish and silver!!!! Pulled it out carefully and saw 1901. I told my buddy "Dude! If this has an S on the back... I'm pretty sure that's a BIG key date!!??" flipped it... Sure enough!!! S!!!!!! I didn't want to celebrate too soon. So I stowed it safely in my pill bottle in-between some cotton balls and we hunted for another hour. The sun went down and we headed home. As soon as we got into cell range I started looking on eBay just to get a feel of what they were going for. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG !!!!!!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on this find. It looks great to me....

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love the fact that you were smart enough to put it in a pill bottle with cotton. Hate it when people rub the heck out of a coin and throw it in their pouch with out knowing it's not valuable first.

Jpro

Jun 23, 2013
Nashville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great find and thrill for you..congratulations!!!!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a fantastic find.
She's a beauty all right.

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Congrats on an amazing coin and making the BANNER. From you finding all those old rope rivets it sounds like an old circus grounds or where the held chautauqua's. Mike

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing I can say that hasn't been covered, but another ...................WOW. No need for me to vote. You got it, and well deserved. Congrats and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread