Rate Your Season (1, 2, or 3) 3 Being The Best

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been at this (Ebay) since September of 2000. I have over 3,000 feedbacks and have fond memories of the "Good Old Days" You know, when you could fill your car or truck in 45 minutes and there wasn't 372 different American Pickers brain rotting reality shows tipping everybody off on everything

That said, picking isn't as easy as it once was. The folks we purchase from are younger and wiser, and seeing items out there with a printed ebay auction (usually not completed or accurately priced) is common place. From 2010 to 2013 I had what I would describe as down seasons. We get winter here so we do have an off season, so this poll applies to those of us who deal with winter and pick in the summer

2015 is about over but I have to say I kicked a little ass and am very pleased with my finds. I have a big stash for winter listings and had a $1,200 auction off a fifty cent purchase. I give my season a solid 3, after a few 2, s or even a 1+

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I would give this past season a "weak 2". I had a few good scores but it was not like past years where I would never come home empty handed. This season I would go out picking and often find the same sales over and over or even no sales at all. Very unusual and I hope this isnt a sign of things to come...

I did get lucky a few times this season where I was definitely in the right place at the right time. I also credit the huge drop in the price of PM's for making silver much easier to find. I would say this past season I found more sterling than ever before. In the past, silver was the most elusive thing being picked. It was always snatched up immediately, practically at any price. This season, I found it everywhere and typically for a fair price.

Records: This is one area in which I specialize. I dont know what is going on but I cant seem to get good deals on records like I used to. In the past, you could scoop up an entire collection for $25-50. Now, it is all Frank Sinatra and Herb Alpert records and they want $2 each. I guess the dream had to end sometime on records.

OP
OP
J

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would give this past season a "weak 2". I had a few good scores but it was not like past years where I would never come home empty handed. This season I would go out picking and often find the same sales over and over or even no sales at all. Very unusual and I hope this isnt a sign of things to come...

I did get lucky a few times this season where I was definitely in the right place at the right time. I also credit the huge drop in the price of PM's for making silver much easier to find. I would say this past season I found more sterling than ever before. In the past, silver was the most elusive thing being picked. It was always snatched up immediately, practically at any price. This season, I found it everywhere and typically for a fair price.

Records: This is one area in which I specialize. I dont know what is going on but I cant seem to get good deals on records like I used to. In the past, you could scoop up an entire collection for $25-50. Now, it is all Frank Sinatra and Herb Alpert records and they want $2 each. I guess the dream had to end sometime on records.

Ahhh, the repeat sales. I could just about create a database of them here. They are worthless

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would rate our season this year a mid range 2. Not the best year but not a complete bust either. An ok amount of silver but nothing big as the last couple of years, and a bit of gold but again nothing major. Some decent antiques though. I scored a nice early Pembroke table last night along with an 18th century tilt top desk at a auction. The desk is pretty rough though and needs a lot of love!! But I can revive it I think. I'll share pics later.

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a 2.5 for me also. Did real well on coins and electronics.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had a yard sale a couple of weeks ago and one of the most requested items from the younger people was vinyl. I had some good ones from the 70s and they (kids) went crazy for the ones I had. I think I only had 2 out of about 50 that did not sale. I don't know why but nobody bought Anne Murray.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would give my season a 2+ it was one of the best I had. One thing I did different was I concentrated in one area instead of trying be an expert in everything. I live in a small University town and everybody knows everything about anything. I never look for PM, high fashion clothes, or antiques because they all know what they have and have a "I know what I got" price on them.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until i get my numbers in January, it would be hard to say how i did. I end up keeping plenty and selling enough to make back what i spend plus some. Working full time allows this to be a hobby to keep me out of trouble in addition to constantly learning. The past month to current date has been very, very good for me and i've been able to score some killer items for cheap. Typically this is the time of year when ebay sales drop off but not completely. Lots of you snowbound people back east doing online shopping. I make a rule to buy quality tools that people always want, especially at my prices.

If i had to guess, i would have to rate the whole year a 2 but the month of October a resounding 3. Some examples would be a garage sale hardly a mile from the house. Guy is selling off precision tools and Snap-on like he contracted a severe allergy to them. A complete, new in the package Mitutoyo Depth Micrometer Set up to 14", List Price Average= 625.00 His price was 40.00 each. I bought all 3! Tons of Snap-on new in the package or box, enough to fill a USPS letter crate, 20.00.

Last weekend netted me a 20 year old Honda EM5000SX generator with the battery tray/remote start module/controller and key/electric start options, less then 10 hours on it (a full service record w/ receipts and hours run kept by previous owner proves this) for 300.00 The invoice from 1994 showed a purchase price of 1864.00. 10 minutes to unscrew the carb and clean the main jet/pickup valve and it starts with 1 pull every time.

This was a great year and, in spite of taking many weekends off from hunting, ive been able to sell off old items that have been languishing in the garage for a long time at the same rate as new items. Christmas is going to be awesome this year with all of the extra spending money. The best part of all? Some actual free time to spend with loved ones because i'm shopping early!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compared to season's past, this was a very weak 2, maybe a 1.5. That being said, I was more disciplined in my purchases and I didn't get out as religiously as I did in years past either, so it's all congruent.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3 for me. Many nice sterling pickups at yard sales. Big pieces, too. I bought 10 grand worth of 22K Indian Jewelry for 30 bucks. *grin

HH

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say 2.5 for me. Didn't get out to yard sales too much, but when I did I found some good scores. Ramped up selling to the point where I'm pulling in 2-3k per month between ebay and etsy which I think is a good accomplishment, especially because it's mostly $5-$25 sales. Also a buy that I made on a whim that I thought was going to screw me ended up being pretty good, I bought a steering wheel and column from a 1967 camaro for $150 after seeing $600-$800 prices on ebay, only to discover that those were all tilt models and mine was not. However, the original steering wheel ended up being desirable and I sold the whole thing for $350+shipping, so I came out ahead in the end. So not a dream year, but pretty good in my book!

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I have only been doing this seriously for a little over two years, so I don't have much to compare it to. However, I would give it a solid 2. Highlights are 2 22k Thai children's bangles that combined weighed an once, a vice I bought for $3 and sold for $350, a large ivory carved upper arm bangle, and a tin advertisement/thermometer that sold for $450.

The first year I did this, it took me forever to find gold and the regulars didn't really like me. Now I find sterling almost every weekend and gold at least once or twice a month. Also, Im good friends with the regulars and I like seeing them on the weekends even though they are the competition. Overall, I really like the people I meet doing this and have found my social/soft skills to be my greatest asset.

This hobby also helps keep out of the bars late night and my wife likes it because like metal detecting, the chances of me meeting cute ladies is low...haha

Let's hope the last 2 months of the year are prosperous.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Solid 2.5. I had a lot of cool finds and sales were pretty brisk. I've done $2500 on Ebay and Amazon over the last month. Not quite a living, but good pocket change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread