RATE YOUR SOIL AROUND THE WORLD!

Rodog

May 24, 2006
Macomb County, Michigan
I don't know if this has ever been done before but here goes. If you have a moment please rate the ground conditions as it pertains to manual ground balance metal detectors. I was just thinking that this would help anyone new to metal detecting in your area decide on which machine to buy. And also help travelling detectorists know which machine to bring or if their current model will work well in your area.

Use the following scale: 1 thru 10. Manual Ground Balance=MGB Ground Balance=GB

1. Extremely low mineralization, No MGB necessary.

2. Very low mineralization, No MGB necessary.

3 Low mineralization, MGB not necessary, MGB may provide slight benefits.

4. Low to Moderate mineralization, Light changes in ground mineralization, MGB provides benefits in some areas.

5. Moderate Mineralization, Ground conditions change, MGB not necessary but provides benefits most of the time.

6. Very Moderate Mineralization, Ground conditions change frequently, MGB Provides noticeable benefits over fixed or preset GB.

7. Very Moderate to High Mineralization, MGB shows much improvement over fixed GB, MGB is Recommended.

8. High Mineralization, MGB Recommended and could ruin a very nice day.

9. Very High Mineralization, Must Have MGB or Go Home Mad.

10. Extremely High Mineralization, Absolutely Must have MGB or Break your detector into relic pieces for others to find.

Example for my area. Put your city and state where you hunt the most in the subject line so that people can go right to the state that they are looking for. Country if necessary.

Subject: Mount Clemens Michigan

Rated 6. MGB Provides noticeable benefits over fixed or preset GB. Ground conditions change frequently but not extreme changes. Could use fixed all the time in my area.

Thanks let's share the info. :o

HH

Rodog

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Houston, TX

Houston, TX
Harris and Montgomery counties

Probably a 4 or less...even the beaches have little mineralization.

HH!
TBGO

R

rvbvetter

I can't really use your rating system. Because where I live in calif. Within a 100 miles either way, I can and do hunt black sand beaches or can be detecting for gold in the sierras gold country. In other words. As far as ground or mineral conditions, it pretty much runs the gammit here.
So I would have to say that the only detector that has a chance of handling every situation here. Would be a manuel ground balance detector. One that the manual ground balancing is for both all metal and disc.
Some one with an auto ground balance or factory preset. Would have some very frustrating moments in certain areas here.
But even with manual ground balance, some machines just perform better than others in certain situations or conditions.
And that's why I have 6 detectors and try to carry them all with me when I'm out detecting. HH

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like a good idea but... I'm in a hilly district. Think of it like a layer cake that glaciers and rivers has cut through. So you walk up or down hill and you are over totally different ground minerals within a few hundred yards. So one field ranges from mild with great detection depth to a large coin not being able to be located at a couple of inches.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 here in sand id give it a 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread