Ratio of registered to lurkers

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been noticing lately the lack of actual members posting & reading this forum (well, not only lately, been a steady decline for months, with all the jabberwockying).

Started doing some tracking and it seems like only about 20% of the people looking at the forum are actual registered members (not even looking at charter members or anything).

For example right now only 14 / 65 people on the forum are members, 51 lurkers just soaking up all the CRH information.

I think this is one of the main reason that big hunters such as myself and others have stopped posting our finds and volume.

Just an observation

HH,
Bigheed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be happy if there were 250+ users on at a time and everyone was contributing and finding tons of silver

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, the other 51 are JBT just itching to break down everyone door for coin marking. I think there should be a limited number of page views for non members.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't hunted in three weeks because I needed to use my CRH bankroll to fund parts of remodeling my house. So, I don't have anything really to post. But I still lurk just to be jealous of all the great finds you guys are pulling.

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
The way forum tech calculates "lurkers" is weird... typically, it will be the number of unregistered guests to visit in the last 24 hours. Now, this includes bots from major search engines and whatnot, so we can assume the number is inflated by at least 25%, probably closer to 50%.

Saltman241

Greenie
Jul 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, early this morning I was in fact, sigh a lurker. Now I'm an honest to goodness registered user!

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
I've been a registered user but usually just lurk--too lazy to sign in unless I get an error saying I have to be signed in to do that.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been noticing lately the lack of actual members posting & reading this forum (well, not only lately, been a steady decline for months, with all the jabberwockying).

Started doing some tracking and it seems like only about 20% of the people looking at the forum are actual registered members (not even looking at charter members or anything).

For example right now only 14 / 65 people on the forum are members, 51 lurkers just soaking up all the CRH information.

I think this is one of the main reason that big hunters such as myself and others have stopped posting our finds and volume.

Just an observation

HH,
Bigheed

One thing you may not have thought of is the new software. The old software kept me logged in at all times. This new software logs me out after a period of time. Even though I still read the forum pretty much every day, I do not bother to log in unless I am going to post or reply to something. When I'm reading without being logged in, I am sure it counts me as a "lurker" even though I am a registered user. Many of the lurkers may indeed be registered users such as myself.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your looking at wrong location, go to front page of forum, the bottom it will tell you how many registered members and guest are on at any time. There were over 200 members and 1800 guests on just a little earlier today. Daily traffic on TN is same as before it was sold now.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this moment there are 224 registered members and 1778 guests on...

What your seeing is what is on that single forum, each forum shows who is on, only front page of forum will show total for TN..

Last edited:

Hopper39

Oct 1, 2011
Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing you may not have thought of is the new software. The old software kept me logged in at all times. This new software logs me out after a period of time. Even though I still read the forum pretty much every day, I do not bother to log in unless I am going to post or reply to something. When I'm reading without being logged in, I am sure it counts me as a "lurker" even though I am a registered user. Many of the lurkers may indeed be registered users such as myself.

^ Ditto what ArkieBassMan said.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been a registered user but usually just lurk--too lazy to sign in unless I get an error saying I have to be signed in to do that.

You can set it so that when you open Tnet, you are automatically logged in. If you have Mozilla, you have to set "Search and Form History" on.

S

stefen

Gotta remember too, that not all Members or Charter Members, post their finds (unless maybe, its something significant...)

There is probably no way to determine the ratio of how many members post finds vs. those that don't.

Is that a deal breaker....probably not...

Occassionally you will see a member posting an Indian Head or Wheatie they found, as if its the most important find in the world...which, to them, may be the case...

You will also see members requesting an ID for a rust encrusted something or other...(requiring x-ray vision or the abilities of Superman...these too, are fun the follow...

And on occassion you will see the enthusiasm of a new member posting incredable finds...

However, posting is not what TN is all about...

Its about variety, and interesting and educational subjects.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta remember too, that not all Members or Charter Members, post their finds (unless maybe, its something significant...)

There is probably no way to determine the ratio of how many members post finds vs. those that don't.

Is that a deal breaker....probably not...

Occassionally you will see a member posting an Indian Head or Wheatie they found, as if its the most important find in the world...which, to them, may be the case...

You will also see members requesting an ID for a rust encrusted something or other...(requiring x-ray vision or the abilities of Superman...these too, are fun the follow...

And on occassion you will see the enthusiasm of a new member posting incredable finds...

However, posting is not what TN is all about...

Its about variety, and interesting and educational subjects.

Stefen - I agree with you , for me posting my strategies about volume hunting, dumping, etc was educational for many people here, I enjoyed sharing that and yes the posts included my finds, we all like to see the end result be it silver, copper, or whatever. I learned an immense amount from others when I was new here. I have asked for help on ID'ing coins and also helped others ID coins.

Treasure Hunter - I am not really concerned with the overall statistics for TNet, 95% of my posts are in this forum, a couple in the PM's forum. My point was that if only 20% of the people on the CRHing forum at most times are "registered members" there is going to be less and less interesting or new material each day and just more people scanning without contributing.

Arkie - I believe all you have to do is clear your cookies on your internet browser and then login again to TNet and click "keep me logged in". Worked for me on my home and work computers. Although at first I was experiencing the same thing as you.

I'm just merely sharing my thoughts and observations - not demanding anything change or working to hard to persuade people, just my observations of what "is".

HH,
Bigheed

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big h. Sorry didn't realize you were only talking about crh. I do know over all traffic to TN itself is back to traffic levels before sale......People come and go, new members may be shy to post at first, they could also have seen some of the flame wars before a mod did and a little nervous to post.

I will say this, flame wars and personal attacks will stop no matter what forum their on or some may find they can't log in, or can't post for a week or more. Also applies to language, instead of editing out the offensive language it is a lot easier to just delete the post with offensive words.

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a member but mostly a lurker. Why? Because I've now got 2 kids under 3 years old and all of my sites have dried up. I bought an E Trac last year but rarely get to use it. I'd love to post some finds, but haven't made any. I still like to see how others are doing, however, and for the most part have to live vicariously through them.

jethro1469

Mar 18, 2009
East Coast
Many times I've not noticed that I wasn't logged in because of frequent power blips shutting my computer down or my security progam deleting cookies.

sculpine

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2012
Central Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from a new member, and lurker of the past several months. i still lurk since i want to get a feel for the site before i post. i detect shallow water and of course dry ground, i travel extensively for work and really want to bring a detector along to poke around in my destinations. so look for me seeking out MD companions in multiple locations as i travel to some prime hunting places but dont know where to go once i get there. my upcoming locations are Batton Rouge, Ft Collins, Sacramento, San Diego, Boston, and Salt Lake. i have several pretty decent finds this year and will post some pics, but until then,,,,back in the shadows with me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread