Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ration can-ration can- ration-Wait EAGLE on it! Hit the jackpot

plate7.jpg Had a long weekend hunt. Went to several spots. Had received a new place to dig, and didn't find much at first - ration can piece, another CW ration can piece, oh wait, another ration can piece. They after awhile starting picking out a few bullets. Didn't check the bullets out but 1 was tiny and the other HUGE.
Down the road wait for it - ration can piece, another ration can piece, then half a pontiled mustard bottle. Things are looking up. Then went across the street and found a shallow privy. Got a CW waistbelt keeper, one bullet, ration can pieces, then a whole ration can, then decided to look around the base of tress (and I wish to thank all of you for leaving your shotgun casings where they fell). At the third tree got a HECK OF A RATION CAN PIECE SIGNAL, at which point I just dug everything and stopped looking at the controls on the machine. Out pops a ration can with an EAGLE on it. I'm thinking OMG an EAGLE BREASTPLATE. And it's near perfect! Didn't hit it with the shovel, all the lead is still there, no rips tears or shreads.

So I move lower into the field and got - gasp- more ration can pieces. There were these two saplings. Loop barely fit between them and got - wait for it = gasp- another good ration can signal. Dug a big scoop of dirt because I like to keep ration cans, and out of the earth pops up first the belt loop holders and then the rest of a completely intact
CIVIL WAR "CHRISTMAS" Officer's spur. Goof Grief! The information stamped on the inside states "PATENTED DEC 24 1861". There is also a makers mark but I can't read it.

The bullets were a Washington Arsenal 58, smashed minie, minie cut right in half, picket bullet, and a .69 Garibaldi (Confederate) bullet.
Got other bits of lead, top of a oil lamp dated 1858 and some flat buttons and melted lead. Can winter wait some more? I want to go dirt fishing again. plate1.jpg plate2.jpg plate3.jpg plate4.jpg plate5.jpg plate6.jpg

Upvote 34

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs. Intact spur is amazing. Great save on the undamaged plate

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that's great. Im still looking to find my first eagle breast plate. That thing is in outstanding shape. Congrats!!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt! I'm glad you kept digging those signals. I have been rewarded with some of my best finds digging big iron to stay warm on a cold morning. Your breast plate is in FANTASTIC shape. I really like the color of it too... are the hooks still attached? Based on the condition of it, I wouldn't be surprised if the hooks were also perfect. ha Don't get me started on that spur!! :notworthy: That would be one of my favorite all time finds. It's perfect. Nice hunt man and hope you can get back there and swing some more.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic condition of Eagle breastplate !
Yank sword and breastplate are up near the top of my "stuff to dig before we croak" :clock: list .
Christmas Eve pat. date on the spur is a plus.
You done well for a New year opening day !
Many more there smokeythecat................. daWG :headbang:

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice recoveries! Beautiful breastplate, perfect spur, and NC School for the Deaf and Blind (formerly known as a Carcano) bullet

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm blown away by the finds, and their condition! Man, you must be one happy dude!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible!!!! That would have cost me a pair of shorts. Lol. A breast plate in any condition is at the top of my list, yours is amazing! Congrats[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji109]

HH, Relic Nut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like that "new place" you got into will be visited often and may have much more to give. Congrats, nice spur and plate !!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's over 30 acres......hut holes everywhere....been hunted a lot......the iron loops are not on the breastplate anymore. Will put some poly on the iron piece of the spur so it stays that way another 100 years. It's 15 degrees out here right now......

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two great looking finds, liking the condition of both of them as they'll look great in a display. Congrats

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow man, what a hunt!

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15 degrees means you better hurry up before the ground freezes any harder lol. I would love to see some pictures the ration cans I have never seen one dug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread