Rattle Snake Dick Barters Loot; it was found.... darn it...

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
Hi Gang,

Well the loot from the Rattle Snake Dick Barter hold up of a gold laden Mule train in 1856 was found back in 1856.

I emailed the Wells Fargo Historical research forum where employees interested in history have started a blog.

Well, I asked as I came across an account that said 1/2 the loot was found at a mountain inn hideout and the other 1/2 was recovered by a member of the hold up gang (with the posse holding a gun at him) who used it to bargin a lighter sentence.

Wells Fargo confirmed they got it all back and even corrected the account of the W.F. agent incharge of the investigation.

I am sure they are giving us the true and accurate account of the end of the story.

Sorry that I have to be the one to report one less cache to hunt.

Jim

OP
OP
Gold_Needle

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
There is no "never know" here.

They checked the records and I say a ref. on the web about one of the robblers using the loot to lessen his sentence.

So, on to the next lost treasure gang!!

Jim

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
The funniest thing about your account is that a friend of mine searching that area found a gold dust cache in saddlebags and was looking for the rest of it. He can quit looking now unless he plans to get lucky again. exanimo, ss

May 28, 2007
cottonwood ca
I'd like to see a link to that Wells Fargo blog. historians and old news links here in the area show no evidence that it was ever recovered, and yes the 1/2 that was taken when they got caught was used to lessen their sentences they had cached it outside of town down near auburn where the lake is now

OP
OP
Gold_Needle

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
Hi,

Been away but recently got back to home.

Here is the responce from the Wells Fargo company that I received.

Good Morning Jim:

You posted a question at Guided By History a few weeks ago. I asked for a couple of days and voila! -- here I am in record time! Thanks for your patience.

Here's what we found:

Joseph Henry Jackson’s BAD COMPANY has an account of Rattlesnake Dick and this robbery.

HISTORY OF SISKIYOU COUNTY (1881) also has an account.

HISTORY OF SISKIYOU COUNTY also concludes all of the treasure was found in the robbery of Rhodes and Whitney’s Express.

Jack Berkeley is mythical -- S.D. Brastow was the Wells Fargo man in charge.

I hope this puts you on track. Thanks for writing!

Charles Riggs
Wells Fargo Historical Services

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know its still there...even the Wells guys were known to lead people off of treasure hunts like this back in the day. If you have some really good info PM me I have a device that can locate it if you get me with in a mile of it...we can find it if its still there....if not there are several other caches in the area...like the one the guy crawled into the cave and saw or the one the Native American lady was getting her $20 gold coins from...need a local guide...visit from Ohio when I can....found some nice stuff around Redding last year.

May 28, 2007
cottonwood ca
the one with the $20 gold pieces is up at castle crags somewhere but it is one of the parks designated to close i believe heard they found some old petroglyphs up there though would be cool to check out

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites Gold Master, Whites TM 808, Garrett AT PRO, H3 Super Alien
Primary Interest:
Other
lastleg,

Not all large finds are broadcast to Big Brother.

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
As the story goes some lucky highway construction worker was bulldozing an old oak tree and stumble upon a stash of 2,000 $20 gold pieces. He walked off the job and quietly disappeared as one fanciful socalled "true tale" portended in 1990. This area is now under the parking lot of a Realys Store. This is beleaved to be the other half of the gold hidden when the gang split up.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
watcher 2,

I was axing Curtis what he found near Redding with his LRL, an HC3 as I recall.
Can you dowse a cache from a mile away? So far no LRL folk have shown evidence
of finding even a clad coin with one. Curt paid bucko bucks for his gadget amigo.
As far as "Big Brother", well I never met the fellow.

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The H3 will locate and lock onto the element you program into it a mile away with ease. You program in silver. it will find only silver. You program in gold and it will find only gold. Or any elementy or compound you program into it. It meets with a lot of controversy from people who have never seen one in action. They say the concept is a scam. But seeing is beleiving. Check it out.
Users of the H3 do not waist there time lookling for Clad coins or loose change in the park. They recover lost caches that other methodes are inadequate to recover.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
watcher 2,

Why can't you LRL guys do a demonstration that will definitely prove it works?

Just saying it doesn't cut it.

S

stefen

lastleg said:
watcher 2,

Why can't you LRL guys do a demonstration that will definitely prove it works?

Just saying it doesn't cut it.

I too would enjoy witnessing a demonstration of actually pinpointing a find, digging, displaying...

Will keep an open mind until proven :dontknow:

watcher 2

Dec 13, 2010
Valley Springs, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to Utah. The manufacturer will be glad to diministrate his produce any time to anyone. Personaly I am delighted there are so few available. It gives me a great advantage over all other treasure hunters who have to actualy step over the target area to find anything. While I can scan a 30 acer field and confirm if a target is still there to be found and if it is still there to be found. I can locate it in under 1/2 hour.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread