Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Nashoba said:
fiatboy said:
I don't like snakes one bit!!!

I personally think rattlesnake is mighty tasty and the hides tan really easily!

~Nash~

well I suppose I will have to taste one before I can agree or disagree...as it is now.....I dun like them!! >:( lol

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
If they're well cooked with some seasoning, they may not be that bad!! :)

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
Mrs O, I wonder if snakes sometimes get aggressive, protecting their nesting sites. When I was 8 years old, my dad and I got chased out of our fishing spot by two cottonmouths. It was down in Arkansas and I'll never forget the way they came after us with their mouths wide open.

S

stefen

Cottonmouths are more aggressive than rattlers...if disturbed all a rattler wants is to escape...

Now if you corner a rattler, it will stand its ground but will not advance...whereas a cottonmouth will...

one8orz

Nov 1, 2006
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
All I've found this year was this thing popping it's head out of a hole early in the morning :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Attachments

• Snake in hole.JPG
    Snake in hole.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 2,192

MSgtUSAF

Mar 8, 2006
Heres one who got a little revenge after his demise.

MSgt

PROSSER, Wash. - Turns out, even beheaded rattlesnakes can be dangerous.

That’s what 53-year-old Danny Anderson learned as he was feeding his horses Monday night, when a 5-foot rattler slithered onto his central Washington property, about 50 miles southeast of Yakima.

Anderson and his 27-year-old son, Benjamin, pinned the snake with an irrigation pipe and cut off its head with a shovel. A few more strikes to the head left it sitting under a pickup truck.

“When I reached down to pick up the head, it raised around and did a backflip almost, and bit my finger,” Anderson said. “I had to shake my hand real hard to get it to let loose.”

Venom was spreading
His wife insisted they go to the hospital, and by the time they arrived at Prosser Memorial Hospital 10 minutes later, Anderson’s tongue was swollen and the venom was spreading. He then was taken by ambulance 30 miles to a Richland hospital to get the full series of six shots he needed.

The snake head ended up in the bed of his pickup, and Anderson landed in the hospital until Wednesday afternoon.

Mike Livingston, a Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife biologist, said the area where the Anderson’s live is near prime snake habitat. But he said he had never heard of anyone being bit by a decapitated snake before.

“That’s really surprising but that’s an important thing to tell people,” he said. “It may have been just a reflex on the part of the snake.”

If another rattlesnake comes along, Anderson said he’ll likely try to kill it again, but said he’ll grab a shovel and bury it right there.

“It still gives me the creeps to think that son-of-a-gun could do that,” he said.

More from MSNBC.com

Adventurer

Greenie
Aug 6, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
whites DFX 300
lol,grew up with rattlers and cotton mouths in florida and believe me cotton mouths are the worst of the 2-very aggressive and will bite you underwater

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
I was hiking up a shale slide this last spring and heard what I thought was a locust or something; it wasn't and just a foot away. It was a desert variety with such tiny rattles that it made a buzz more than a rattle..... all eight beads of them. I froze and he wandered off.

S

stefen

fiatboy said:
If they're well cooked with some seasoning, they may not be that bad!! :)

I have eaten rattlesnake on several occassions and find them to be chewy and do not taste anything like chicken....

In fact, at times I gag when I eat chicken and think it tastes like snake...

one8orz

Nov 1, 2006
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Found this last Saturday night around 10pm out in my front porch. went out to smoke and wife had turned light off and when I opened door took two steps and heard that rattle going I thought here its goes call 911. But lucky for me it was in the rock not by my door so watch your step even at home one never knows and to think I haven't seen a single rattle snake all summer out int the desert ????? :o :o :o :o

Attachments

• snake.JPG
    snake.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,760

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Re: Rattle Snakes (pic!)

How would you like to see THIS while out nugget hunting?

NEST!.jpg

one8orz

Nov 1, 2006
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
:o :o :So long as I see or hear them first always carry enough ammo my Taurus shoots colt 45 Long or 410 shotgun shells very effective snake gun. :o :o :o

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
I was told that juvenile rattlers are more dangerous then adults.They haven't learned how much venom to use so release it all, there by administering a higher dose then an adult would.Also when shooting a rattler shoot behind the head as to sever it. There have been cases were a snake was head shot and venom splashed the shooter in the eye and poisoned him.They aren't often lethal but you may wish to die before you get well as the skin degrades and infection often sets in. Personally I like snakes and they are usually cleaner then rabbit for a quick meal in the ruff.

Big Pappy

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2007
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Super Trak
Out here in the edge of hell in El Paso, TX. 6 to 8 kids a year get bit in their backyards! We go to NM alot to prospect and MD. Have seen a few in the desert, more in town. (Construction disturbs their nests) Have learned (not through experience, but from local biologist) dead rattlers ARE more dangerouse than live ones. Live rattlers can "meter" the amount of venom injected. Dead ones can't. You get a full dose. Also, the venom is protein based. The younger ones have a higher protein level the the older ones. (Just like us)!

RN MEDIC

Greenie
Jan 11, 2008
Rattlesnakes and cotton mouth moccasins are both very deadly. Copperheads can be, but might not be depending on one's individual reaction.

It's very important to get help on the way and/or get the victim enroute to the hospital. ASAP after the bite, remove all constricting bands such as rings, jewelry, body piercing metals anywhere on the body. If possible, immobilize the effcted site to minimize the spread of venom. If the bite is on a limb, place snug (not too tight or too loose) tournaquets above and below the bite site. If possible, take the KILLED snake with the patient to the hospital to identify for the proper anti-venom to be administered. Try to keep the patient calm and still as possible. Rapid transport to the medical facility is important even driving to meet an intercepting ambulance is good if the distance is really a long way to a hospital. Calling ahead to a hospital ER is also good to give them all the preparation time possible to obtain and prepare the anti-venom. INDIRECT application of cold is good to the bite site such as ice wrapped with cloth, a box of frozen vegetables or anything but always INDIRECT; wrapped with cloth to prevent frostbite which can and will happen even in hot weather if enough cold is directly applied.

Also, it's wise, if hunting in weather when snakes are out/active, to not hunt alone, not without nearby transportation, hopefully with a medical emergency kit along, cell phone or radio communication. I could go on and on, but hope this bit of information will prove helpful to you new friends, but also hope you'll NEVER NEED IT.

Respectfully With Best Wishes, RN MEDIC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread