Rattlesnakes in a cave

RBrown

Oct 10, 2012
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any idea how to rid a cave of rattlesnakes?

I found a small cave that is infested with them. From my flashlight beam there are several dozen of them in the cave. The cave is about 4' wide and 5' tall and about 20' deep (horizontally) and there are a few small ledges about 2' above the floor (I saw at least one snake on a ledge as well).

I thought about throwing in moth balls but that would take a case of them (which would be too heavy to haul in) and not all snakes are bothered by them anyway. And if it did work they would probably stay very near the cave entrance so I still couldn't get it the cave. Then I thought about shooting them but I would need a box of bullets and a lot of gun fire could bring unwanted guests. I also thought about poison gas (but that would kill me) and I thought of fire (but could attract unwanted guests).

This is remote area with no cell coverage and if one gets bitten its almost sure death as its a five hour hike to get to the cave area (one way).

So other than giving up and looking for another cave (I have my reasons for wanting to get into this particular cave) does anyone have any idea how to rid the cave of the snakes?

I need to dig a 1' deep hole at the end of the cave so wearing a knight's metal suit of armor probably wouldn't work and I doubt if I could carry such a heavy load all that distance anyway.

Roger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man there better be piles of gold or silver coins in that hole your digging! It is almost impossible too kill all those rattlesnakes unless you are a professional and know what you are doing. Gasoline will work but i hear you gotta burn the whole cave. Be-careful that is for sure.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If I went into that cave I get a terrible case of PTSD, and if I didn't die right there from a heart attack, I'd probably die from the loss of body fluids while running away. Nothing could be buried in there that would cause me to go in.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..........I wouldnt light it....the fumes should work.....has for me

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..........I wouldnt light it....the fumes should work.....has for me

So the method is pour a bunch of gas into the cave the day before or right before your about to dig that hole? I dont know how rattlesnakes den but i thought they did in the 100s or even 1000? how would this work if you used gas or even if you burned the cave for the rattlesnakes not to return too check out what is going on? this sounds tricky but I do not live in rattlesnake country. I guess bring awhole lot of gas with you.. you may have a few hours of digging before they may return

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Learn to handle them and take them out when the cave is at its coldest. Seems there would be a time they would be outside more,sunning or hunting.
Even if cleared i would want some one on watch for any showing up from out side. At least you can see them compared to spiders.:tongue3:
Depending on whether something noticeable can be left at entrance,could a one way gate or mesh cone be used to let them leave in time?
Not a likely scenario if t.h.ing.

Last edited:

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn to handle them and take them out when the cave is at its coldest. Seems there would be a time they would be outside more,sunning or hunting.
Even if cleared i would want some one on watch for any showing up from out side. At least you can see them compared to spiders.:tongue3:

Then after you learn how to handle them put awhole bunch of them in a sleeping bag with you and get in there!! :icon_salut:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..doesnt take much at all........a couple gallons in a sprayer(bug/weed)they dont like it and will leave pronto.....I have used this method several times very sucessfully......lighting it up is not only cruel(even snakes are living creatures,and nothing desrves that kind of death)but if in dry conditions a lit snake will travel....fast and be like a torch on wheels

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....another thing too....snakes dont have a "Lair"....they dont come back to a den all year round...there is a season that they den up....we should be getting close to them coming out ....they are out here already.They may be gone out of there soon?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bring a partner along and get 2 of these to take with ya:

Extra Heavy Duty Rattlesnake Catcher Stick Tong 72" | eBay

Make yourself a tub with a lid that opens, and just drop 'em in as you catch 'em.
Rattlers can strike out up to 2/3 of their body length, so you'll be safe from anything
under 6'. If any of them are shedding, they'll be uber cranky, so be cautious.

You could also try the gasoline as Kuger has suggested, but if I really wanted to get
in there and clean the place out (with the least amount of carnage), Id just move them
out elsewhere a couple miles away and then check the place thoroughly for any
stragglers you might have missed.

I'm a big believer in never sleeping on the ground in any desert environment, as there's
a lot more little creatures to worry about than snakes, and when it's chilly outside they
aren't too picky about where they bed down for the night!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I just checked........says they leave the den March-April......so If I were you I would go around May?August is when they shed and are cranky as Dizzy stated.I hope you have a strong stomach cause a snake den has a very strong nasty smell....as said,I sure hope what ever your after is worth it....wouldnt catch me in there

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've noticed when the snakes move out, the skunks and wild pigs move in. Keep your .44 cocked..

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is starting too sound like a great start for that episode "I Shouldn't Be Alive"

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mojave greens are found in most of Arizona. It won't matter if you get cell service. You must have a REALLY good reason to want to go in there.
We want pictures- lots of them. :skullflag:

JSpinner

Feb 16, 2013
Northwest - Idaho
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smoke 'em out.
I wouldn't use gasoline. One of my son's is a wildland firefighter, and uncontained gasoline in the wilderness volatile. Not smart. However, you could wheel in a kettle of hot coals loaded with green brush. That'll smoke heavily without burning and send the sidewinders out, quickly. Won't hurt them, either. Do be careful though, when they come out.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well call up some friends who like snake meat and tell them to bring a 22. Seriously tho just wait a bit, they will leave and just be carful for a few straglers.

repete

Dec 30, 2012
WA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher gold bug, Fisher CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use gasoline I wouldn't light it! You have seen what happens when a car is on fire and it gets to the tank, the same thing will happen in the cave. The fumes will explode and the pressure from the explosion may cause you more problems than the snakes!

ret-detector

Feb 20, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope! No snake stick for me...that's why I carry my Glock, it reaches WAY past 72", and much more effectively.::)

I don't suggest hunting them in mass to destroy them all, but rather keeping my path clear, and my family (pets included) safe.
Poisonous snakes who enter my yard, are not leaving.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread