Raw Platinum in Rocks How to extract???

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats on finding platinum! What you are seeing is the platinum acting as a catalyst- causing the second oxygen atom to be stripped off the H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) leaving you with water and oxygen gas (bubbles). Nothing helpful is happening to extract your platinum in this process.

OP
OP
A

advice welcome

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would i have to do thento get it ready to sell anything? thanks

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
The only place where PT has been found in the US is in southern Oregon, where a mine existed along the lower Rogue River. At that mine, most of the product was actually gold. The PT was an afterthought.

T

Tuolumne

Pt is also found along the beaches and land around Crescent city nor cal, and along the golds bluff beaches/ miners ridges to the south and north where the tertiary Klamath once flowed.... bring it my office for a XRF exam and we can see whats in it and whats in the matrix surrounding it.......

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only place where PT has been found in the US is in southern Oregon, where a mine existed along the lower Rogue River. At that mine, most of the product was actually gold. The PT was an afterthought.

I think It's been found and mined in small quantities in other states, GA being one.(I'm trying to find the link again, just in case I misread or wrong:laughing7:)

added...
http://nevada-outback-gems.com/placer_gold/Platinum_placers_P1.htm

Not picking on you, I was just proud that I actually half retained something since it usually doesn't stick:laughing7:, since I've been trying to study GA Geology recently.:occasion14:

Added.....

I see what you meant after further looking into it. :occasion14:

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like there's also some placer Pt in the UP of MI from the glacier. I've hit 2 pieces of fly poop so far on the beach. The beach material has a lot of the goodies found around the Wawa Ont. region. There is a platinum mine up there.

There are some beaches up in AK that also have Pt in the black sands.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
california has lots of platinum.

crush it and pan it.

if it's too small to pan out. crush to powder and roast it to over 3500*F to melt platinum. 6000*F to melt the osmium, iridium, and a couple other metals.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Washington State has platinum and one of my claims on the North Fork of the Salmon river in Northern California has up to 1oz. nuggets of platinum in the river. Don't forget Alaska, lots of platinum there too.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's also the Stillwater Mine up in MT. A commercial platinum/palladium hard rock mine. (20 years ago I worked for the company that owned it.)

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I am going to throw some cold water on this party.

What does the assay show? Please note that there are many minerals that react to hydrogen peroxide, so if that reaction is your only evidence of platinum, before going in head first, please have a proper assay done by a qualified professional. That will tell you if there is actually platinum in your rock.

Time for coffee.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The internet is a great place to get mis-information yet I still keep using it successfully to figure out how to fix stuff.

Here is a snippet from the 1886 California Journal of Mines.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

I find it especially interesting that the Trinity River gold dust was marked down $2 to $3 an ounce!I had always heard that the early miners threw out the platinum - maybe this is why.

It is true that platinum is found in the North Fork of the Salmon, not in abundance, but I have a friend that has found pea size nuggets while dredging.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Platinum is fairly common here in Del Norte County, Ca. I have recovered quite a bit while panning various areas of the Smith River.

Mike

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there recently found a nice size rock that displays the characteristics of PT Question if it bubbles and fizzes in peroxide do you leave it in the peroxide ? for how long ? The whole rock ? in pieces ? crushed? apprieciate some much needed info thank you in advance
Silver will also react with HP, if you put HP at 100% strength on silver it will instantly turn to steam. HP - " Hydrogen Peroxide " The old Jet Packs made in the 1960,s used this method to create thrust, Bell and Howell made these back then, back in 1962 I got to see one in action at the Seattle Worlds Fair, so awesome, I was only 7 years old. To bad they could only carry enough fuel to last 3 minutes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread