Ray is heading for Alaska

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really admire the creative thinking here but that thing probably won't survive its first encounter with one of those nasty on shore Bearing Sea summer storms. I would have plenty of duct tape and a back-up plan at the ready. Good luck and I hope I'm wrong.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I really admire the creative thinking here but that thing probably won't survive its first encounter with one of those nasty on shore Bearing Sea summer storms. I would have plenty of duct tape and a back-up plan at the ready. Good luck and I hope I'm wrong.

if he finds a way to drive his truck to the Bearing Sea the camper will be the least abused part on there!8-)
If he's on the road system there is no road that will get him within at least 400 or 500 miles of the Bearing sea.
I will say I've seen freak storms with 100mph winds in Anchorage & the Kenai area, but that's in areas exposed to the Cook inlet (not much prospecting there), usually in the winter, & not too often.
Good luck Ray & enjoy your season. Oh & no hurry. Snowed here last night. Low tonight is supposed to be 26*. Most lakes even here at sea level are still hard. Mountain pass between here & Anchorage (area I play) still has considerable snow & not much open water on the creeks. At least that was the case a week ago when I drove through. I know it's snowed up there pretty good at least twice since.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if he finds a way to drive his truck to the Bearing Sea the camper will be the least abused part on there!8-)
If he's on the road system there is no road that will get him within at least 400 or 500 miles of the Bearing sea.
I will say I've seen freak storms with 100mph winds in Anchorage & the Kenai area, but that's in areas exposed to the Cook inlet (not much prospecting there), usually in the winter, & not too often.
Good luck Ray & enjoy your season. Oh & no hurry. Snowed here last night. Low tonight is supposed to be 26*. Most lakes even here at sea level are still hard. Mountain pass between here & Anchorage (area I play) still has considerable snow & not much open water on the creeks. At least that was the case a week ago when I drove through. I know it's snowed up there pretty good at least twice since.
Nearly all of Alaska's weather(and much of North America) is created in the Gulf of Alaska/Bearing Sea. When one of those storms sweeps down from the north, you don't have to be camping on the beach at Nome to be on the receiving end way to the south. I've seen trucks with 2500 pound slide in campers blown over on their sides in such storms. I would say the exact same thing to any of my closest buddies in the same situation and suggest in bad weather with high winds, to leave the pop-up down and crash in the bed of the truck. I wish you a safe journey and hope you find lots of adventure and gold.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Nearly all of Alaska's weather(and much of North America) is created in the Gulf of Alaska/Bearing Sea. When one of those storms sweeps down from the north, you don't have to be camping on the beach at Nome to be on the receiving end way to the south. I've seen trucks with 2500 pound slide in campers blown over on their sides in such storms. I would say the exact same thing to any of my closest buddies in the same situation and suggest in bad weather with high winds, to leave the pop-up down and crash in the bed of the truck. I wish you a safe journey and hope you find lots of adventure and gold.

The Gulf of Alaska is a separate body of water but OK :)

You are right though, in Alaska or Florida high winds can play havoc with anything tall for sure!!!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Outstanding hurthawk! You be careful and let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
H

hurthawk

Jan 16, 2008
Tuolumne county Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Falcon MD20
Garrett 1500
Fisher F2
Ace 250