RAY PRICE,RIP/A SHARED MEMORY OF WHEN I MET HIM IN 1969

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In 1969,I worked the 11:00PM - 8:00AM shift at a PURE gas station on I-75 and Hwy 40 in Ocala,Florida.The man who worked the shift before me was killed in a robbery,and no one wanted to work it,but for a long haired musician who attended college in the morning this was an ideal job.I arrived with my guitar,amp,portable stereo,and revolver in pocket,prepared for whatever,as this station was the only bright light in the night at this location.
One night,Ray Price's tour bus pulled in for a fill up at the fartest pump.After filling up the tank,and being handed a credit card,I returned to the office to process the sale,when the office door opened,and there was Ray Price.
He stated at me,looking me up and down,a long haired hippie with a revolver in his pocket,then noticed my guitar and amp,and said,"Do you have BC Powders"?
I replied,"Yes,and you're Ray Price! I grew up on your music,you've written song great songs!"
He looked at me,"I never would have expected that!"
We talked about his music,"Heartaches by the Number","Crazy Arms",ect,and asked me what music I was into.
I mentioned the Beatles,Dead,Airplane,Moby Grape,-he knew who a few of them were,then payed for his BC's,shook my hand and got on his bus,and I forgot to ask for an autograph!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ECS,
You hit a chord with me when you posted about Ray Price; one of my favorite singers of that era (or any other era for that matter). Here's one song I like, especially with its syncopated beat:

Don.....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
What even Ray Price fans may not know, he traveled with Hank Williams before Hank passed away. He was a protege, and only later did he break out in his own style.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is a great video and great to find this here as I have played lead guitar for Dell Reeves, George Hamilton fourth, Norma jean, Earnie Ashworth and Charlie Louvin and others in my music career. I also live in southwest Virginia. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread