kavehnj

Greenie
Nov 1, 2013
Brant County, SW Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to TN. Is this a re-branded Ace 250?

Hi, I'm looking at getting into metal detecting and am researching entry level detectors.

I am considering the BH Tracker IV, VLF2.1, Discovery 1100 and the Garrett ACE 150.

I found this at a place called Princess Auto and it looks an awful like an ACE 250. See link below.

Metal Detector | Princess Auto

Just wondering what you guys think about the one in the link or if I should just keep my eyes open for a deal on one of the 4 I listed at the beginning.

Thanks for your help and looking forward to posting in the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
kavehnj

kavehnj

Greenie
Nov 1, 2013
Brant County, SW Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick reply G.A.P.

This is my 1st post btw.

What do you think of the other MD's I mentioned?

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having a Garrett Ace 250 myself, I had to check this out. Dangerously close, but not fully alike. Also about considering metal detectors, the 150 can do good for beginners. Hope to see your finds soon.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies, he will help you out and will give you a great deal

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you afford the extra cash I would get a machine that you can ground balance at the very least.

Randy Combs

Sep 16, 2013
FREDONIA KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Predator Raptor
Predator Phoenix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It says it takes 6 AA batteries, my 250 takes 4. Coil looks cheesy too.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To save time and money buy a detector ONLY from an authorized dealer. There is no sense in buying a cheap no name detector and ending up hating the hobby because of it. Call anyone of the forum sponsors on this site and they will take care of you and get a detector that will work for your area and that fits your budget. I would also consider a Tesoro Compadre or Silver uMax. Look at fitting a pinpointer into your budget if possible.

dale3fan28

Jul 15, 2013
Lake Charles, La
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO & Ace 250, ProPointer
Wow i did notice one good feature, when u zoom in it shows the coil wire is run through the inside of the shafts

Oldbuttplate

Oct 18, 2013
East Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT. It was free. Still works good.
Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To save time and money buy a detector ONLY from an authorized dealer. There is no sense in buying a cheap no name detector and ending up hating the hobby because of it. Call anyone of the forum sponsors on this site and they will take care of you and get a detector that will work for your area and that fits your budget. I would also consider a Tesoro Compadre or Silver uMax. Look at fitting a pinpointer into your budget if possible.[/QUOTE

What he said. You get what you pay for in this hobby.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow i did notice one good feature, when u zoom in it shows the coil wire is run through the inside of the shafts
That could be detrimental. With the coil on the outside it can be taped so the lower section of it doesnt move or jolt and give a false reading.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would prefer to have my coil wire external so i could wrap it or you may get a lot of unwanted and false signals

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
I work for FTP-Fisher. I'd lots rather someone bought a Garrett than to buy a fake Garrett from a Chinese knockoff artist.

A real Garrett will probably work according to prevailing industry standards, and if something fails you probably have a warranty that actually works.

Don't expect that from a Chinese knockoff outfit! BUY ONLY FROM FORUM SPONSORS OR A LOCAL DEALER! These are people who have reputations worth protecting. They don't want to sell you a piece of schitt from a manufacturer who doesn't even offer a real warranty.

Charlie, you probably don't even drink, but you owe me a cold beer for this one!

--Dave J.

Last edited:

dale3fan28

Jul 15, 2013
Lake Charles, La
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO & Ace 250, ProPointer
I work for FTP-Fisher. I'd lots rather someone bought a Garrett than to buy a fake Garrett from a Chinese knockoff artist. A real Garrett will probably work according to prevailing industry standards, and if something fails you probably have a warranty that actually works. Don't expect that from a Chinese knockoff outfit! BUY ONLY FROM FORUM SPONSORS OR A LOCAL DEALER! These are people who have reputations worth protecting. They don't want to sell you a piece of schitt from a manufacturer who doesn't even offer a real warranty. Charlie, you probably don't even drink, but you owe me a cold beer for this one! --Dave J.

I hear ya! I just might have to join ya for one lol

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Hi, I'm looking at getting into metal detecting and am researching entry level detectors.

I am considering the BH Tracker IV, VLF2.1, Discovery 1100 and the Garrett ACE 150.

I found this at a place called Princess Auto and it looks an awful like an ACE 250. See link below.

Metal Detector | Princess Auto

Just wondering what you guys think about the one in the link or if I should just keep my eyes open for a deal on one of the 4 I listed at the beginning.

Thanks for your help and looking forward to posting in the future.

Just looking at the specs......Maximum Depth: 1.5 meter...Nice

OP
OP
kavehnj

kavehnj

Greenie
Nov 1, 2013
Brant County, SW Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for your feedback.

I went with a BH Tracker IV btw as that's what I can afford to spend without guilt setting in.

I'll be back!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions