RE: Happy Dance under the apple tree

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
RE: Happy Dance under the apple tree

I would have replied to the original happy dance thread but for some reason some threads I cannot view unless I am not logged in. I have found a similar button but I think its older. When I get my digital camera working again I will post photos. It is about the size of my pinky nail and has the spread eagle design but the eagle head is pointed further up and to the left and the head feathers (there appears to be two instead of one) are pointing up and to the right. It is one peice. Anyone got any ideas for an approximate date/war or a value?

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! :o Post that picture! Would love to see it!

Nana :)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like a Prussian eagle. Maybe German but We will have to see it first. I have seen buttons found here in Germany like that. Maybe WW1 or before. ???

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
birdman said:
It sounds like a Prussian eagle. Maybe German but We will have to see it first. I have seen buttons found here in Germany like that. Maybe WW1 or before. ???
Definately before. It's one piece and has the spread eagle looking to the left with shield on breast, and arrows in claws (but the arrows are not so clear). I doubt it's german. I found it next to a CW artillary service button just like Nana40s she found under the apple tree. Mine is a little more banged up although the outline of the spread winged eagle is a lot clearer than Nana's. I will post pictures of both as soon as I find my AC adapter for my camera. The thing has been missing for about a week and a half, and the camera needs charging.

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I'm going out for a while and I will pic up a new charger and post the pics later today. It's a nice day here, but alas! Yardwork is calling. It's almost as rewarding when the end product looks nice...which with my veggie garden usually isn't the case. But hey, it's a lot of fun anyway.

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Heres the two buttons, one circa civil war arty (2 piece, no back). The other earlier, could be a special unit but probably just general service per PBK (really worn, 1 piece, no backmark). He said don't quote him until he sees the button though so it could be something else.
1st pic is the Arty button.
2nd is the gen service button with side lighting.
3rd is gen service button with a flash.

Attachments

• Artillary Button.JPG
    Artillary Button.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 228
  • Gen Servic button side light.JPG
    Gen Servic button side light.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 231
  • Gen Service flash.JPG
    Gen Service flash.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 272

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
After seeing the photos of the second button, and based on the description of it provided in your PM— one-piece, approx. 1/2" dia., no backmark— my best guess is that this is the c. 1820's to early 30's Army general service cuff button listed in Tice's book as #GEN 207-As. (Unlisted in Albert's book). It is cited as an example of use of the same basic eagle & shield device long before its official adoption in 1854.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread