Re-matting my highbanker

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IM redoing pretty much my Entire highbanker setup. I wanted to use around. 2.5hp jobe pump. I may redo/purchase a header, but definitely redoing my entire matting.

Any opinions; obviously goldhog matting rules, what if I used that in a certain stretch..? Or not at all?

I know a few of you in. TN are highbanker masters, so I thought your two cents would be quite helpful in the long run

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
GH matts are not cheap, but will reduce the amount of cons drastically, Their site will give you the exact information on which matt will be right for your rig. Some dust from our 4 we converted to GH matts this season

Attachments

• 9-18-14 004.JPG
    9-18-14 004.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 162

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run my proline with the stock setup and it does great. I have wondered if there is something better I should use too. I have really thought hard about changing the v-rib under the first section of punch plate as it never really retains much, even less if I set it up as dredge. And their nomad matting sure holds a ton of material, seen where gold hog mats seem to hold less. Good for panning it down but... I'm weary of them. To me holding less= holding less gold. But that's really small stuff oakview posted a photo of so. I will be watching this post there is a ton of knowledge on this site, maybe there is something I can try and change up in mine.

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like moss but it packs up when you shut down. If you have a second set of mats to quickly swap out and keep running I would go that route. I don't mind having lots of cons to work over the winter, just hate doing it lol. I would think that multiple types would be the way to go. We run ribbed rubber/moss. I would like to try a section of GH in my system maybe in the lower sluice. Are you digging in clay? Cuz that would make a difference, you may want to go with GH there. I do miss my plain old green keene carpet and plan on putting a lot of that back in over the winter. I strongly urge you to get a second set of mats for your system to reduce down time. However with GH matting that would not be an issue.

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im leaning toward Mostly moss...If my local shop carries GH. I definitely may get half matting GH

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I prefer the 3M backed moss. It is avail at Home Depot if you talk to the special services desk. It's not cheap but a lot cheaper than if you buy from a show or prospecting shop. I think that I paid $160 for a 4X6' sheet and ripped it length wise to fit my 2'X10' sluice. I like that type as it is softer than most and I like the way the backing traps the fines. You have to get it totally dry though in the off season and warm it up then beat on it from the back. It will rain goodies for you. When I travel with my mats I roll them up and put them in a 5gal bucket just for that reason. You will never get every thing out of them but hate to see it rain out on the floor of my van. Hope this helps. PS I also cut them in 3'long lengths as they are pretty unmanageable when any longer than that. Make sure that you mark the back of the mat so that they can be put back the same way that you cut them. ie: 1-1,2-2,3-3etc. Other wise you may have losses in the joints. Personally I would rather highbank than dredge. Best wishes to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That does help indeed. I feel I may put some goldcube matting on the first few inches, before the riffles. then moss with matting beneath..

Just, racking my brain over it all, trying to see if Anyone else has better options/ideas.

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My 4" keene 3 stage has bare Gold Hog UR mats under the stock riffles. I did well at a creek that only has flour. On Monday and Tuesday I'll be checking for losses after a few runs and I'll check back here and post my results.

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
there is a mat out there that I do not care for at all Vortex matting, I glued in a piece at the head of my A51 river sluice and I hate it. It packs up and I can't get it clean. It is the stuff that has little 1/4" squares. Might have been ok if I didn't glue it down. I ran a 2' piece of that in my ten foot sluice off highbanker and still didn't like it. I was able to pull that one out and clean it but it packed up immediately on restart.

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What i ended w

image-4131931069.jpg

image-2933016990.jpg

image-1035064167.jpg

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Vortex matting requires that the material be screened BEFORE USE.
The vortex is only on my river sluice; which I classify every bucket.

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
what size do you classify it to? the Vortex mat is really for concentrators and screend small!

I think we are both confused.
Im Not useing Vortex matting persay""

On my sluice there is moss and 50deg wedge V

On my HB, there is only v matting and moss

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank You for looking out for ME.

thanks for your kindness Russau

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Vortex matting requires that the material be screened BEFORE USE.
I have only used that in bulk run screened to 5/16" and it plugged right up. So your saying that if I put it in a concentrator and screened to say -20 or -30 mesh then I would do ok with that? (slow water flow) Have you tried it on beach gold by chance? I bought a bunch of it at the GPA show and haven't figured out what to do with it yet. If I was just using it wrong then that's good news to me. Thanks

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only used that in bulk run screened to 5/16" and it plugged right up. So your saying that if I put it in a concentrator and screened to say -20 or -30 mesh then I would do ok with that? (slow water flow) Have you tried it on beach gold by chance? I bought a bunch of it at the GPA show and haven't figured out what to do with it yet. If I was just using it wrong then that's good news to me. Thanks

It works great on beach gold. Around here beach sluices are V mat only.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the Gold Cube was built by Mike Pung for EXACTLY that type of material. I understand Mike goes to Michigan every year to work the blacksands that are prominit on the lakes shores! his videos show this!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vortex mat does not like slow water flow or a relatively flat angle. It works best with a 15 degree angle (3" to the foot of drop) with good water flow. While it may appear to be loaded up with material look closely to see if the material in the pockets is "active" (bouncing around) if so then it's working properly exchanging light material for heavies.

If the particles are not bouncing around in the pockets of the vortex mat then the flow is too slow or the angle too flat or a combination of the two.

If you use unbacked miners moss always put deep v ribbed mat or else carpet under it because fine gold wants to migrate underneath or through it if the riffles dont hold it down tightly enough. Too tight and the moss wants to raise up between the riffles.

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread