Re: Metal Detectors

G

Goldilocks

What is the best metal detector for someone on a budget? Preferrably under $100. Not looking for a high end or expensive model. Just looking for a basic, easy to operate type for a beginner to poke around with some on weekends. I know absolutely nothing about metal detecting or detectors. Don't know the junk from the good stuff, so any suggestions would be gladly appreciated. : )

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Goldilocks: Your Budget certainly puts a crimp on things! You really have 2 Choices! Look around for a Good Used Detector, or here are your options: Garrett Ace 150 @ $152.95, Tesoro Compadre @ $152.00, Fisher 1212X @ $143.96, & the Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker @ $89.95
or the Bounty Hunter Tracker iv @ $119.95! (All FamousTreasures.com Prices) I am not familiar with these particular Models, so perhaps some
other TN Member can help. My Personal Recomendation is the Garrett Ace 250 @ $212.95! Welcome to the Net tho!

HH Joe

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

Goldilocks you would get very frustrated with a sub-one hundred dollar detector and want to upgrade almost immediately or give up due to very little found. I am speaking from experience, been there and done that (I upgraded from a radio shack to a Fisher). You would be far better off saving and getting something like the Garrett Ace 250 which goes pretty deep for the money. I personally do not own one but have friends that do and they seem to like that machine very much. I just don't want to see you through away good money for nothing.

oldred

Jan 21, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber

Goldilocks, you might want to consider a reliable older detector that are always for sale on ebay. I've been detecting since 1979 and know of a couple of these old reliable detectors that are actually better than some of the $200 - $300 detectors selling today. Example: There is currently a Whites 6 D/B hip mount detector for sale on ebay and the current price is standing at $31 right now. I owned this particulat detector and it was one of the best detectors I have ever owned. I found hundreds of silver coins and gold rings with this detector and the depth was super. I dug several mercury dimes 6 -7 inches deep. The pin pointing on this machine is great and with the hipmount, you can hunt for hours. Also, it is a very easy detctor to learn to use and very stable. Email me at [email protected] if you have any questions or need further help.

Oldred

Captain Wolfe

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2007
Russellville AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett surface / Homebuilt underwater

Another good option is a pawn shop. There are several around here that have at least one. You can often find a Fisher or a Garrett relatively cheap. I found a high end Garrett the other day that looks new, works well, and only cost $110.

yellowhammer

Nov 20, 2007

I am also new to metal detecting and would like to get advice on what metal detector would be good choice for a newbie. I have a budget around the $200-$300 dollar range and would like suggestions on a metal detector that would be easy to operate for a newbie. I would be hunting old home sites for coins and whatever else I might dig up. I have been looking at Tesoro Silver Umax and have found a new one for $240 and also looking at the White line of detectors. While the Tesoro looks like your basic Detector with only tones and no display screen and Whites seems to be a choice if you wanted to see what your targets are and at what depth they might be located. I am torn on which one to get and would like some advice on a machine that is fairly easy to operate and worth the money? Any other suggestions on different brands would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if it matters about types of soil but I would be hunting in West Central Alabama.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

Goldilocks,

I may be a bit prejudice but I think that the Tesoro Compadre and Silver uMax ($151.20 and $239.20 NEW).are the best low $ detectors out there. (I'm a Tesoro dealer). Lots of "pros" have one in their lineup of detectors. The next best is probably Bounty Hunter. I do not recommend used machines for a beginner. Too many variables and things that you need to know when buying used. Joe

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

If you're in AL, the thing you're looking for is an adjustable ground balance. The Tesoros are some of the best machines, especially for beginners. You need to dig most of your first targets and start equating the sound to what you're finding and the Tesoros are perfect for that. I agree with Joe, that a used detector might not be the best for your first one, but for most of us budget minded folks, its a real concern. If I was you, I would be looking for a lightly used uMax type Eldorado (out of production I'm afraid). It gives you the ground balance without so many features as to be difficult to learn. And, you'll grow into that machine. Be sure to get a good pair of headphones when you get the machine. I'm in AL and I bought single cup Killer B's so I could be safer while relic hunting (snakes and two legged varmits avoidance). The Vaquero is a model that's pretty much the same as the Eldorado and they still make it, but as new one is a little outside your stated range and I haven't seen many used ones come up for sale, but if you can find one used it might be a good choice as well. I have the Eldorado and I love it. The Cibola was my first and now my son has it, because its just not that good a relic machine in this red clay, but it does real well as a coin shooter.

gunmetal1

Dec 22, 2007

hello also in huntsville and new to the game i will be get my first detector prob. at tax time if not for x-mas . i am also a diver and wanted something i could used under water but i cant spend a 1000.oo dollars eather so i wanted to get some feed back on the 2008 Viper Trident Underwater Metal Detector 349.95 or 07 Viper Underwater Treasure Metal Detectorthe 228.78 these are on e-bay. also what other equipment do i need and what is a pin pointer?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

A pinpointer will allow you to zoom in on your target, once you start digging. Some people swear by them, some people don't use them. Guess it depends on the size of the targets you're after (small coins, versus relics and larger targets) and you're experience/confidence level. I've found that pinpointers are good when you're starting out and just learning your machine and still not as proficient at pinpointing with the detector itself.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

do a little reading so you know what you see, check out thrift shops, flea markets, and yard sales.

I bought a whites 5900 DX Pro for 10 bucks in a thrift shop about 2 years ago so I know good deals are out there.

you just need to be informed and save some so you'll know when you see a great deal and be ready to strike.

Enjoy I have

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama

I've got a whites 59000 di hipmount I'll give you if you come and get it.I'm sure it probably needs the contacts cleaned iin it,but its a older high end detector! I live in Oxford.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread