Re-Run: Platter Splits

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
It annoys me when people keep posting pictures of the same artifact, but this, IMO, is warranted -- for the sake of people in years to come, if not at present.

While it's highly unlikely that you'll ever encounter one of these in the field, if you do, you'll be on a Paleo habitation site -- one far from that group's home, where they were making tools/points from platter-like bifacial cores carried in with them as efficient, easily portable raw material.

The more flakes were removed from these for use as tools (or tool stock), the thinner the flakes got until a point was reached when the next step was to split them into pieces suitable for turning into points (or whatever). When things went not exactly according to plan, smallish, odd-shaped pieces resulted that, in the cases of the following two examples, were discarded for people to find in modern times. These are, literally, lithic snapshots that document their reduction procedure.

Keys to recognizing these are the long, twisting break surfaces that rotate from initial low-angles to 90 degrees as they travel (easily seen on the first example), and the wide, flat-ish, parallel facial removals from previous flake detachments.

Putting both together here in their own little thread as I doubt whether many people remember the first one by now.

1. Texas: Edwards Plateau Chert. From a Golondrina site. Gifted by a Texan many years ago at A'ology whose name/screen name I've unfortunately forgotten.

plattersplit.jpg

2. Pasco County, Florida. Gift from newnanman.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a Pasco County piece. I figured they struck off all they could & chucked it. I see the similarities now.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
A nifty item indeed. I revised the caption to include county info. Material = ???

Personal find ? Dry land ? Anywhere near New Port Richie ? My mentor prof. in college escaped from New York (state) during the depression -- milk selling war he was involved in (hit a milk tanker with a .22 and the glass lining shatters. They hate that). Hitch hiked all the way to NPR (during a hurricane) & settled there. Florida was a pretty wild west placeback then. Lots of stories. If it's from there, it definitely cues the Twilight Zone theme music !

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was near what is now the Bruce B. Downs exit north of Tampa. Not much there back in the early 80's. All developed now.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. So dry land ? Oiled to bring out the colors (otherwise chalky, white patina) ? Chert name ?

Enquiring minds want to know, so known information isn't lost because nobody saved it !

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad you enjoy the split artifact. It came from my site in houston co. Dr Collins felt it was Clovis. I recognized it the second I saw it. I thought I still had it but I pulled the group it was with today and it is not there.lol. Dad remembers me telling him I was gifting it and now I barely remember that. I either mailed it to you or to Swamprat one or the other. Makes me smile to see its appreciated.

Steve

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
A nifty item indeed. I revised the caption to include county info. Material = ???

Personal find ? Dry land ? Anywhere near New Port Richie ? My mentor prof. in college escaped from New York (state) during the depression -- milk selling war he was involved in (hit a milk tanker with a .22 and the glass lining shatters. They hate that). Hitch hiked all the way to NPR (during a hurricane) & settled there. Florida was a pretty wild west placeback then. Lots of stories. If it's from there, it definitely cues the Twilight Zone theme music !
Hey Uniface, is that the one you were thinking of?..Looks like heat treated Coastal plains chert, , A right nice lookin piece, not the one I was thinking of.

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a Pasco County piece. I figured they struck off all they could & chucked it. I see the similarities now.

It is heat treated. Almost everything I & a friend found there was. So it probably isn't Paleo as I don't think they got into heat. Not oiled, been in a box in my garage for years. So nice you like it.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Uniface, is that the one you were thinking of?..Looks like heat treated Coastal plains chert, , A right nice lookin piece, not the one I was thinking of.

What was throwing me, as I googled around, was that it also looks like what rockhound people call agatized coral from Pasco county -- same shade of red with white.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
It is heat treated. Almost everything I & a friend found there was. So it probably isn't Paleo as I don't think they got into heat. Not oiled, been in a box in my garage for years. So nice you like it.

Thank you again.

I was recently surprised to learn that, in Kentucky, people kept making spurred endscrapers in the Early Archaic (Kirk Cornernotched) era. In the last several years, while it used to be a hotly debated topic, EA people did, in fact, keep making prismatic blades (also in Kentucky or Tennessee, if I recall rightly).

In this case, it's a no-brainer, missionary position (Clovis) platter split. That much is obvious. But apparently made late enough in time that baked chert was on the menu. Anybody know when they started doing that ? I did run into some famous collector's Simpson points that are glossy, dark blue. Also baked (?)

More questions than answers.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I am glad you enjoy the split artifact. It came from my site in houston co. Dr Collins felt it was Clovis. I recognized it the second I saw it. I thought I still had it but I pulled the group it was with today and it is not there.lol. Dad remembers me telling him I was gifting it and now I barely remember that. I either mailed it to you or to Swamprat one or the other. Makes me smile to see its appreciated.

Steve

Best part is it's reached a wider audience of people who appreciate it than just me, and taught a lesson to boot.

It seems I've misplaced it at the moment, but will be happy to send it back home again once it turns up.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best part is it's reached a wider audience of people who appreciate it than just me, and taught a lesson to boot.

It seems I've misplaced it at the moment, but will be happy to send it back home again once it turns up.

No need. It's a cool item. Enjoy

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Long, slanting, parallel thinning flakes. Like ribbons, edge to edge, on all three.

See it now ?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions