Re: Whats a fair price for a CZ 20 to 21 up grade?

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's a fair price for a CZ 20 to 21 up grade?

I have a question for all who have up graded their CZ 20 to a 21? Can you please private message me and tell me what Fisher was or is charging you to up grade your CZ 20 to a 21 in the last year or so, because as we all know, there are no more parts for the CZ 20, they can not be repaired, but I believe that a fair price should be charged.
First, we are at the mercy of the new people at Fisher, because they are about the only ones you can go to, to either repair or up grade your CZ 20. When I receive any messages from fellow CZ 20 owners here, I'll know what to do with mine, and clear up some issues I have with Fisher Lab's. I have been a loyal Fisher customer for many years, since I have been in this hobby since 1977, and have had 2 CZ 20's, 3 6a's, and a 4 scope, which in the past was charged a fair price for repairs when Fisher was owned by Fisher.
Please, I am not looking to cause any problems, but wouldn't you want to pay a fair price for repairs and up grades for any of your detectors? Thanks for any help on this matter, send me some quotes or estimates, because what I was just quoted for an up grade is not a fair price :BangHead: , and I refuse to pay it. I'd rather buy a new one and receive the life time guarantee, and let them absorb the cost of repairing the CZ21...
Philo_NY

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Col.Philo95thNY

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: what is a fair price for an CZ 20 up grade?

I have a question for all who have up graded their CZ 20 to a 21? Can you please private message me and tell me what Fisher was or is charging you to up grade your CZ 20 to a 21 in the last year or so, because as we all know, there are no more parts for the CZ 20, they can not be repaired, but I believe that a fair price should be charged.
First, we are at the mercy of the new people at Fisher, because they are about the only ones you can go to, to either repair or up grade your CZ 20. When I receive any messages from fellow CZ 20 owners here, I'll know what to do with mine, and clear up some issues I have with Fisher Lab's. I have been a loyal Fisher customer for many years, since I have been in this hobby since 1977, and have had 2 CZ 20's, 3 6a's, and a 4 scope, which in the past was charged a fair price for repairs when Fisher was owned by Fisher.
Please, I am not looking to cause any problems, but wouldn't you want to pay a fair price for repairs and up grades for any of your detectors? Thanks for any help on this matter, send me some quotes or estimates, because what I was just quoted for an up grade is not a fair price :BangHead: , and I refuse to pay it. I'd rather buy a new one and receive the life time guarantee, and let them absorb the cost of repairing the CZ21...
Philo_NY

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im never used F CZ20 or CZ21. I think its better but you need all metal detector VLF and PI for to get amazing finds.
Excalibur
Sov Gt
Whites BHI PI
I wish you luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
Col.Philo95thNY

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just trying to get a handle on what Fisher has been charging in the last year or so... I refuse to be cornered and charged an unfair price because they have the market cornered with thier machine. You know =... D^ll has been, and is still does the same thing...

The Colonel

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher doesn't bargin on prices for repairs. You either pay their price or don't. It is better to get a new CZ-21 anyway.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They charged me about $350 and getting it fixed/upgraded was the best choice I ever made when it comes to detectors. I think they just sent me a new one. Talk to Felix. He will make it right with you. He has always been nothing but good to us. My buddy got the upgrade and it was the same with him. Good Luck

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Talk to Felix. He will make it right with you.".................yes, and you have to start out with a good attitude! the "new fisher" has done some amazing things for me that they did not have to do!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Col.Philo95thNY

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's what I don't understand, because their customers service, I would rate it to up to a ten for great CS... I would rate them a 3 for the lab's taking care of giving me a RA number.

Waited 2 days for that, and another day and a half for the estimate... I rate the Rep as a 5, she kept asking if I wanted to keep waiting for felix to answer the phone, and waited 40 minutes, and I finally asked if I can have his voice mail.

Why didn't she just asked after ten mimutes and give me the option for the voice mail.. Finally spoke with Felix with his take it or leave it attitude, and that was the final nail in the coffin for them... But, it looks like others have received pretty good service out of them, but I do not trust a company that leaves you on hold, don't answer their voice mail mesages, and call you back a day later, when they say they will call you back shortly. Not happy with the cost for repairs and their customers service. Terrible...

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's what I don't understand, because their customers service, I would rate it to up to a ten for great CS... I would rate them a 3 for the lab's taking care of giving me a RA number.

Waited 2 days for that, and another day and a half for the estimate... I rate the Rep as a 5, she kept asking if I wanted to keep waiting for felix to answer the phone, and waited 40 minutes, and I finally asked if I can have his voice mail.

Why didn't she just asked after ten mimutes and give me the option for the voice mail.. Finally spoke with Felix with his take it or leave it attitude, and that was the final nail in the coffin for them... But, it looks like others have received pretty good service out of them, but I do not trust a company that leaves you on hold, don't answer their voice mail mesages, and call you back a day later, when they say they will call you back shortly. Not happy with the cost for repairs and their customers service. Terrible...

If customer service is what you want then go with Tesoro. From what I hear they are the best. Garrett isn't to bad either but there is a WHOLE lot worse then Fisher. What's wrong with the 20? If you decide to sell it let me know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Col.Philo95thNY

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been in this hobby since 1977, and with Fisher since I got into the Fisher 6a, and the MineLab Explorer I II, and SE Pro. So I know the ropes when it comes to detectors and their makers. I mainly have been only doing shollow water hunting, but this year I would like to get back into the water. The CZ 20 is a work horse, and it is the only detector I ever used in the water, but it looks as though it's time to move on...

The Pin Pointer button, which has plauqed most Fisher detectors, especially the CZ 20 is the only problem... They (Fisher) want 300.00 plau tax. CZ 20 come with a 10" coil, Manuel, Hip Holder, and the carrying case. Cosmetic wise, detector is in great shape... Let me know what you would offer me... Thanks for the post...

OP
OP
Col.Philo95thNY

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the point... Fisher has great customers service, till they got bought out... now, it's terrible... Fact.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$300 is a bargain. They aren't fixing your detector, they are basically selling you a new CZ21 for $300. I was skeptical when I sent mine in and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I can't tell mine isn't new. I really think it is. If you really want to sell it I will PM you an offer but I really think you are making a mistake not upgrading. If you liked the CZ20 you will like the new 21 just as good and it beats the heck out of paying a grand for a new detector. You are getting pretty much a new detector for less then 1/3 the price. No brainer to me.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When Fisher does the upgrade, do they just change the faceplate or do you get complete new electronics inside? 300 for swapping faceplate is too much, but if you get all new 21 guts and new faceplate then its a great deal. Ive asked this before and people dont seem to know, not even people that have had the conversion.

OP
OP
Col.Philo95thNY

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There you go... another very interesting question. Fisher is not telling me exactly what is be done. I know thst the pin pointing button is up graded to a much better system that is found on the CZ 21, the face plate, and have no idea as to the lights, two of them, some say for the up grade 20' to 21 they are left, CZ 21, early have lights, later ones don't. If you ask me they have made a mess with both machines. That's ahy my hat goes off to Mine Lab , When The XS became the II and on to the SE, SE Pro, and then the E-Trac. When the XS was discontinued for parts and services, that's it, its goen. Fisher is up grading the 20, so to me the guts are the same, and it may be the best kept secret. So, we are paying 300.00 and more iif you have other issues with the 20, for a new pin pointing button, which cost pennies and the instulation is not difficult, and a new face plate... I don't think it's wroth it... honestly, and the attidtude doesn't help any when you begin to ask questions hoping to find out if your getting your moneies worth, and your left in slience, because they don't want to answer the question... is it worth the up grade......

Slowwalker

May 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a broken parts detector and change it out yourself, or source the button and solder it in yourself and spend $2 and keep your detector. Really $300 doesn't sound bad for a new detector when new one costs $1000. If Big Mike doesn't take it I might depending on what you need out of it. I'm in the market for my first water detector anyway.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I NEVER LIKE CZ20 PINPOINTER = HATE THE CZ21 ONE
I HAD CZ20 - WIRE WENT EVENTUALLY - I PAID THE $300 FOR THE CONVERSION
BOUGHT A NEW CZ21
AND THEN FOUND A USED TWICE CZ21 ON LINE FOR 650.00 AD BOUGHT THAT ONE
SO I GOT 3 NOW
I LET FRIENDS USE 1 NOW AND THEN AND THAT WAY I STILL HAVE A BACK UP
I LIKE MINE
FELIX HAS ALWAYS DONE GOOD BY ME

icurabeachguy

Greenie
May 31, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 8"
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
same here, I sent my CZ20 to Felix last year and got it back in 3 weeks - total cost out the door was just under $350. the coil, headphones and guts were changed with the housing being the only thing that was the same...if you ask me, that's a steal for a practically NEW machine. I've heard from others that have done the conversion that the reason they have to gut the internal electronics is because there are no longer parts for the old spec CZ20.

my experience with the NEW Fisher has been stellar.

as a side note, my father and I have been using Fisher water units (Impulse, Aquanaut, CZ20 and CZ21) since the early 90's and have never had to send a unit in for repair up until 2011...these things are bomb-proof!!!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they replace the old faceplate which has the problem areas of the pinpoint button failing and the two led lights failing. the first cz21s had the two led lights but fisher decided to do away with them. the old fisher when taken over by first texas was losing money bigtime on these failures.
im guessing they do not allways replace the electronics and many times probably just send you a complete cz21 rather than take the time to repair/upgrade yours.
if i remember correctly the cost is $290.00 for the basic upgrade and more if your coil is bad and they decide to charge you for it. even at $390.00 you are basicly getting a new machine so i do think its worth it.
yes i have dealt with felix before when he was having a bad day and not real helpful! other times he jokes around and is awesome to deal with.
you can call fisher and ask to speak with a technician and they will transfer you to a technician, i have done that before and they were very helpful!!!!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same here, I sent my CZ20 to Felix last year and got it back in 3 weeks - total cost out the door was just under $350. the coil, headphones and guts were changed with the housing being the only thing that was the same...if you ask me, that's a steal for a practically NEW machine. I've heard from others that have done the conversion that the reason they have to gut the internal electronics is because there are no longer parts for the old spec CZ20.

my experience with the NEW Fisher has been stellar.

as a side note, my father and I have been using Fisher water units (Impulse, Aquanaut, CZ20 and CZ21) since the early 90's and have never had to send a unit in for repair up until 2011...these things are bomb-proof!!!
Thanks for the info.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they replace the old faceplate which has the problem areas of the pinpoint button failing and the two led lights failing. the first cz21s had the two led lights but fisher decided to do away with them. the old fisher when taken over by first texas was losing money bigtime on these failures.
im guessing they do not allways replace the electronics and many times probably just send you a complete cz21 rather than take the time to repair/upgrade yours.
if i remember correctly the cost is $290.00 for the basic upgrade and more if your coil is bad and they decide to charge you for it. even at $390.00 you are basicly getting a new machine so i do think its worth it.
yes i have dealt with felix before when he was having a bad day and not real helpful! other times he jokes around and is awesome to deal with.
you can call fisher and ask to speak with a technician and they will transfer you to a technician, i have done that before and they were very helpful!!!!
Thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions