READ ALL THE COMMENTS ON SB 657!!!

OP
OP
H

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Legislation by Gaines Would Repeal Suction Dredge Mining Ban

Another measure I have introduced would repeal the statewide ban on suction dredge mining until a full environmental review has been completed.

It is irresponsible to impose a one-size-fits-all ban on suction dredge mining before we even know what the effects are. There is no scientific evidence that points to suction dredge mining as a cause in the collapse of fish populations. An economic impact report has been started, but there seems to be no urgency in its completion. In the meantime, local economies are suffering and those who depend on the mining to make a living are impacted.

Last year, Senate Bill 670 put a statewide ban in place to protect fish populations. This has significantly impacted small-scale miners in rural communities, where mining is still an important part of the local culture, history and economy. Senate Bill 657 will lift the state-wide ban until the Department of Fish and Game has had time to complete its California Environmental Quality Act review and determine if the small-scale mining in fact harms salmon.

When the ban went into effect, all suction dredge mining permits became immediately invalid, but permit holders were not given refunds for their unusable permits. For the state to pocket people’s money for a service it is no longer providing is incomprehensible. It’s the equivalent of purchasing access to a gym or fitness facility and not being able to use it. It wouldn’t fly in the private sector and it shouldn’t be permitted in government.

My measure will ensure the viability of this industry until there is concrete proof that it does more harm than good. The disruption of an entire way of life for some of my constituents is not something that should be done on a hunch.

Short URL: http://lakesidenews.net/?p=4048

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
proff has been gotten by every gubermint agency out there in most of the western states and Alaska. and every one of these agencys have reported that 4 inch suction dredges and under have only a diminumus (sp) effect on the streams. yet now they say it does have a measureable effect and these people wont even read/understand their own scientific studys. and you wonder why California has gone broke!here i go again on a rant! sorry!

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:hello2:
i wonder why states with low taxes do so much better then California and then there is the gun states that have a low crime rate just wondering

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread