Read an Post today that got me wondering

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading through some of the Best of TreasureNet Posts and read the one by Night Stalker about his "My True Treasure Tale" that dated back to 2007 and the thread is about 15 pages long. It is interesting and if you believe it or not, makes one wonder about the old foundations about and if any exist in the area and are in places that can be searched. All of the old houses I know of are still standing or occupied so no go and they would not allow the yard to be dug in any fashion. Has anyone else read this and thought about a place they have seen or known about and searched wanted to?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I was reading through some of the Best of TreasureNet Posts and read the one by Night Stalker about his "My True Treasure Tale" that dated back to 2007 and the thread is about 15 pages long. It is interesting and if you believe it or not, makes one wonder about the old foundations about and if any exist in the area and are in places that can be searched. All of the old houses I know of are still standing or occupied so no go and they would not allow the yard to be dug in any fashion. Has anyone else read this and thought about a place they have seen or known about and searched wanted to?
HA! You should see what is left of the OLD mountain communities of Augusta, Rockingham, & Page Counties on our side of Skyline Drive (WEST). Same is true on the EAST side; Green, Madison Counties & Rappahanannock Counties. BAD news... ALL Fed-Land, down to "private boundaries". Many great books with "pics" of old cars (rusted out), Bean Pots, Chimney/Foundations... are available. OOH! NICE! SOME of these communities were HUGE! If you like hiking in the woods, hills, & mountains... :hello2: :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, had been up several of the hollows (hallers) with an old girlfriend that grew up back in one in Page county back 25 or so years ago. I remember seeing lots of old ,empty places next to places that had poeple living in them. Guess that the kids moved next-door and just kept the property but didn't keep it up. Next to her parent's place was an old house with a huge tree and a well that had fallen in. The owner had passed away like a decade before and no one moved in but the owners checked on once in a while but the place was falling apart. It was right at the foot of Skyline Drive and remote enough that you did not go in town unless you had to or had to go to work out of the area. Looking back, I know that with that house, there probably was something either buried outside or stuff secreted away in a wall somewhere. Since it has been so long since I have been up there and no long have contact with her, I have idea if the house even still stands. Shame that places like this couldn't be hunted but in these areas, you are know if you are not from there. Felt that everytime I went there and she was not driving! I'll bet there are Mason Jars buried in some of these yards just waiting to be found.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, I graduated from Page County High School in 1969, and know of MANY places like that; it IS a shame that descendants don't "keep up" the "ancient home sites" in the Flat-lands along Skyline Drive. BEST book that I have on this is SHENANDOAH VESTIGES: What The Mountain People Left Behind by Carolyn & Jack Reeder (PATC). HH! Good Luck!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Shenandoah National Park (Skyline Drive) has MANY hiking trails in those hollers, where you can see what mountain ppl left behind & waterfalls, deers, etc. NOW is the time for family hikes, while the leaves & critters (like SNAKES) are "down"... and the OLD Roads/PATHS... OOH! I LOVE the OLD road to Swift Run, Va. in Greene County! MUST be my "inner MOUNTAIN BOY/MAN" genes "kicking in". HA!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Seeing such "communities" can enlighten y'all of what old "communities"/home sites would look like in the flat-lands (foot of mountains, etc) in Page, Rockingham, Augusta Counties & beyond; OLD English, Scot-Irish, & German "origins"... FUN!

OP
OP
D

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
f I recall correctly, didn't they leave one settlement intact on the Skyline Drive so they could show what life up there used to be like for the people who lived up there before the Govt. took it over and turned it into a Park? I think they even have actors come in during certain time of the the year in period dress and enact what would have gone on there at that time for visitors to the settlement.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Not on Skyland Drive (aka Shenandoah National Park); Blue Ridge Parkway (south of SD/SNP) does have something like that, tho.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Humpback Rocks, MP 5.8; NICE mountain Farm with "actors", REAL chickens, rabbits, bees, etc.

OP
OP
D

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been quite a while since I was up near Humpback Rocks. Nice hike up and back! One of the last time ever in that area was to hike the Crabtree Falls trail. There had been so little rain that there was no surface water going over and we walked up to the edge and looked over, idiots!!! Would have been dead if fallen, no harness, etc. There were old homes along the way so I am thinking that private land mixed with George Washington National Forest and might have been places to hunt. At that time, I was all about the hike, miles, sights and destination. Great places to hunt but so much inside of park land. How to shake permission loose??? As for Rival War hunt and hike, top of US Route 250 in western Augusta County. Past the Ramsey's Draft Rec. Area, the road winds up the mountain and at the top is a small parking lot and a marker for the Confederate Breastworks. Looks like wooden entrenchment of the top of the ridge and down part of the sides to control the road access going over. Still in the Park and the State Police patrol it. We hiked the ridge and left a car there and it was checked to make sure there was no one causing trouble. Bet there's relics to find there if you had a chance.

OP
OP
D

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I remember backpacking down a Ridge above Hone Quarry and we were about a mile and 1/2 in and a dirt bike pulled up. It was a Forest Ranger patrolling the jeep trails for injured hikers and atvs that had gotten past the gates. He was carrying a pack, radio and large pistol on him. Nice guy and talked for about 15 min and then he went o to finish his trail patrol. They would even get you on the trails!

OP
OP
D

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you can hunt in the National Forest, or am I wrong? At least I thought that was a used to as we stayed away during hunting season as hunters from DC and metro areas came in and shot at things they did not necessarily see but moved, ie thought it was a deer (ended up a dog or goat, think about that in the bed of the truck and checking station!). But if you can hunt with a valid license, why not be able to test, pay a fee and get a Metal Dectecting License for National Parks, even if by state? Just frustrating to see the amount of places that are ripe for detecting that are out of reach with out putting one's self and property in danger of loss and jail time. Just a bit of vent with idea.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I think the FEDS can issue TH-related license to "hunt" along the Skyline Drive & Blue Ridge Parkway; NOT sure, tho. IF you find out, let us KNOW! THANKS! HQ is in Luray, Va. or just ask ANY Forest Service Ranger...

OP
OP
D

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had me wondering esp. after your "FED THANG" reply. The North River area Ranger Office is on the road I take to and from work every day, wondering if there was even a chance of trying or just kidding myself and just putting my name on the "person to watch" list. I know of some old hunting cabin locations that were taken down and nothing is there but brush and a little machete work would make a couple of them accessible. Plus any of the old camping areas that are no longer in use since the areas were gated off after the major flood in the mid '80s. tore the place up and rearranged but I spent so much time in the areas in Hone Quarry, Reddish Knob, and all the surrounding area that even today I sound still be able to track down most of the bigger campsites and party areas. I still have all the old topo maps from the area from Augusta Springs to Sugar Grove to Briery Branch to Rawley Springs. Some even have the 1970's updates, just need approval/access to hunt! Might have to stop in and ask, can also find out about fishing at the same time so I can kill two birds with one stone and maybe not get the "eye" of suspicion. I'll keep you updated on this. Too many choice spots that may never have been swung on! All the college party spots, got to be coins and jewelry along with other stuff just waiting to be unearthed, if ever.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
FIRST, I would just go in & ask about TROUT fishing or any fishing "hole"; SECOND, get their required documents to fish or State of Virginia "over-all" license & WRITTEN permission to be in the "areas of interest"; THIRD, go to Blum's Almanac "on-line" for BEST DAYS TO FISH; FOURTH, GO! HH! HAPPY FISHING! Good Luck! Have FUN!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
THAT reminded me of my USDA days, out of the H'burg Field Office; employed 2 summers during "summer breaks" from MC. Smith & Jones were my supervisors out of Roanoke; we we trapping Gypsy Moths (da BUGGERS), & Cereal Leaf Beetles from Wheat, Rye, & Barley crops, & visited MANY Mennonite/Amish farms... got to know 'em well. Saw a barn-raising once... I was AMAZED that they did it in a day! The girls were nice, too... WOW! I will NEVER forget Ernie, the "Bug Guy" at USDA; had different bugs mounted on EVERY wall in his office! AFTER MC/JMU, worked at Shen-Paco in New Market, then H'burg Field Office of DRS, as a Job Placement Counselor... GREAT Ppl! Later worked at WWRC in Fishersville as a Counselor; it was called WOO WOO UNIVERSITY... LOL!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Watch out when speeding on the parkway, those tickets are Federal, and they are very very expensive. I was cruising with my gal friend and not paying attention, 59 in a 45. Holy smokes I got lucky on that one. Was told the ticket would be around $1500.00.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread