Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge Ancient Language Dictionary Finished After 90 Years
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110607100134.htm

ScienceDaily (June 9, 2011) — An ambitious project to identify, explain and provide citations for the words written in cuneiform on clay tablets and carved in stone by Babylonians, Assyrians and others in Mesopotamia between 2500 B.C. and A.D. 100 has been completed after 90 years of labor, the University of Chicago announced June 5.
"The CAD is the single most impressive effort I know of to systematically record, codify and make accessible the Akkadian language that forms the heart of the textual record of civilization in the place of its birth: Mesopotamia.

"The CAD is not simply a word list. By detailing the history and range of uses of each word, this unique dictionary is in essence a cultural encyclopedia of Mesopotamian history, society, literature, law and religion and is an indispensable research tool for any scholar anywhere who seeks to explore the written record of Mesopotamian civilization," he added.

The Chicago Assyrian Dictionary project was started in 1921 by James Henry Breasted, founder of the Oriental Institute and one of the country's premier Middle Eastern archaeologists. It documents cultures that developed in what is now Iraq.

Although originally named after the Assyrian language, scholars found that Assyrian was a dialect of another Semitic language, Akkadian. Over the years, researchers filled out millions of index cards with references to the use of 28,000 words. The entries for each word denote various meanings and reference the contexts and ways in which it was used.

In the final volume, for instance, the listing for the word umu, meaning "day," covers 17 pages and documents its use, for example, in the Epic of Gilgamesh: "Those who took crowns who had rule of the land in the days of yore." Robert Biggs, professor emeritus at the Oriental Institute, worked on the dictionary and also as an archaeologist on digs where he recovered tablets.

"You'd brush away the dirt, and then there would emerge a letter from someone who might be talking about a new child in the family, or another tablet that might be about a loan until harvest time. You'd realize that this was a culture not just of kings and queens, but also of real people, much like ourselves, with similar concerns for safety, food and shelter for themselves and their families.

"They wrote these tablets thousands of years ago, never meaning for them to be read so much later, but they speak to us in a way that makes their experiences come alive," he said.

What is the capitol of Assyria?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7iXw9zZrLo&feature=fvsr

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting post. Too bad there was nothing to poke fun of...

You did pick the right clip though :laughing9: Great movie :headbang:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can't wait for the paperback copy to hit the stores! oh yea, easy nighttime reading before bed for me! :laughing9:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Ah Farmers, you'll soon realise that our friend Beep is the intellectual type. Many of his posts could bore Stephen Hawkins and Carl Sagan, and "the Mekon" from Dan Dare was based on the exact proportions of Beeps head!

http://tinyurl.com/5wnxtdo

K

Kentucky Kache

Actually, I like such books. But then, I've always been a little strange :tongue3:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Dano...I think. :)

Sitchin has the most "well-known" translations, so this might provide some alternative, possibly more realistic, interpretations...if you consider aliens unrealistic.

K

Kentucky Kache

The Beep Goes On said:
Thanks Dano...I think. :)

Sitchin has the most "well-known" translations, so this might provide some alternative, possibly more realistic, interpretations...if you consider aliens unrealistic.

Sitchin is a little too E.T. for me, but I love the epic of Gilgamesh, mentioned above.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah the quest for knowledge * --great knowledge often leads to postitions of power and control (and often great wealth as well)-- that is if one is lucky enough to be born to a wealthy and politically "connected" family .

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tee. It's not that high...I just like to think and read, although I wish I had more reading time lately. Typing things out is easier for me than the spoken word, for instance, which you've probably surmised having met me, and this helps to put my thoughts in order. I pick or start my topics as wisely as possible and try to stay with things I know, in general. I've learned a tremendous amount on this site covering just about every topic available, including people, and myself as well.

I would like to try to translate one or two interesting lines and see how they compare, but not sure when/if I'll ever do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions