Real/Authentic 4" Dovetails for $100 on Ebay.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
If that ain't a harbinger I don't know what is. 10 years ago these points would exceed a grand in price on Ebay. We are seeing the gentle erosion of value, Ebay is the fair market value for many people who are interested in relics that don't live where they can easily buy. Now it seems people can't get rid of them fast enough. Take some time look, I have not seen anything like it in my years of collecting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is probably going to come from left field to alot of folks..but from where I stand.... that which you just stated.... is great news...for the hobby of artifact hunting from a pureist standpoint.
The more money can be removed from the equation the better. JMHO.
$$$ have made a mess of my hobby.. I know that much.

Many aspects to a hobby turned profession. Wax on wax off. It is cyclical with many factors. Fakes, Government and supply and demand. Smart collectors that collect certain items well documented should weather well. My collection is worth more to me than it will ever be to anyone else. But that is not true of some collections. E-bay is well e-bay. I would not buy 4 doves for a Bill but someone will.

I would be skeptical. There are some very good knappers out there, very realistic patinas are being created.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

If the prices are falling, it could be good for the hobby.

I have caught fraud ebayers before.....you look for honest re-pro makers....lithics or other artifacts....then look at their sales....

check out who they sell to...then check these buyers and see if they are re-selling as "authentic"

sometimes you can catch a guy "roughing up" new stuff and re-posting it a few months later.

That's nuts! It sucks that there are so many trying to sell fakes. I would love to get more stuff but after reading all the stuff on this site from so many who say there are so many people making fakes and selling them as authentic I'd be to scared to buy from anyone online. Plus I'd never be able to spot a fake from a real one.

I parted with one for 50 bucks. Not selling anymore. Quality artifacts are hard to find/dig!!

I sell some that I buy. Its a buyers market rite now. If they are good and cheap I will buy but not 4-100 I wouldnt. I dont care if they are real or not. If you wanted to resale them you couldnt rite now. I dont know if the market will ever turn back around.

I sell some that I buy. Its a buyers market rite now. If they are good and cheap I will buy but not 4-100 I wouldnt. I dont care if they are real or not. If you wanted to resale them you couldnt rite now. I dont know if the market will ever turn back around.

Rock,

The market may turn around in 200 years. Who is going to replace the older collectors and pay what they used too? Certainly not the next couple of generations while they are busy paying off their $100,000 college debt and 20 trillion in US debt. It doesn't take a brainiac to figure it will never come back (new laws ect..) They will always be collectable, but the value they once held in the 90's is over. When I speak of value, I mean mid range points, not museum examples: they will hold their value and may increase to the few who can afford them.

Yeah its a good thing I have a day job :happysmiley:

Unfortunatly me and 95% of the rest of us...
I like your cat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back