real or fake gold, how do i know?

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I really want to buy my first gold coin, I think it will be a 50 peso or a maple leaf ounce coin as they have the best premiums. (Unless someone cares to recommend something better). I am going to buy it through provident metals, but im scared. Is there any way to tell if the coin is real? Provident meyals buys from the general public and that seems dangerous to me. I have read these stories of gold plated tunston how can I tell?

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right now I would not buy any gold coins do to the fact that price of gold is much less than the gold coins. say a one oz coin is 1250$ and right now an oz of gold is 1198$. So its not the best time to be buying coins.

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I really want to buy my first gold coin, I think it will be a 50 peso or a maple leaf ounce coin as they have the best premiums. (Unless someone cares to recommend something better). I am going to buy it through provident metals, but im scared. Is there any way to tell if the coin is real? Provident meyals buys from the general public and that seems dangerous to me. I have read these stories of gold plated tunston how can I tell?

No but how do they figure it out, how do they tell real from fake

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had about 6 orders through provident this last year and haven't had 1 serious issue thus far. They have great reviews, great customer service (I did have 1 tiny issue with lost check and cancelled order which was resolved in the end) and overall a pleasure to work with. I would imagine they verify authentic items prior to forking over the cash to their public sources.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with Provident, they are not going to screw you. Better buying from them than ebay. For me I'm actually trading my Gold for Silver as I'm getting 65-70 to 1 a trade. Just traded (5) 1/10 oz AE's for 35 oz's of Silver.

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't need to worry when buying from provident. They do buy PM's from the public, but I'm sure they test it as soon as they recieve it to protect them selves and their customers.
I would not recomend the acid test. You would need to scratch the coin on a stone and any little damage can hurt the value.
What you can do is weigh the coin and measure the diameter and thickness EXACTLY. If it is made from some other metal, something will be off.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
right now I would not buy any gold coins do to the fact that price of gold is much less than the gold coins. say a one oz coin is 1250$ and right now an oz of gold is 1198$. So its not the best time to be buying coins.
Paying a premium such as this is quite common when dealing with the PM market. It's nothing new.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread