Real or not???

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a ring today it's pretty darn old it says 18k when I scratched it it looks like gold but when I tested it the ring didn't even mark on 10k however my chemicals are fairly old ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474328113.251422.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474328162.112198.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474328206.030689.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474328260.538944.jpg

Upvote 4

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It doesn't look like 18K to me. How close are you to a jeweler? They can tell you free in a heartbeat.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's about as real as they come my friend. Old gold and a beauty at that. I'd say that's been in saltwater since the late 1800's judging by the recessed 18k hallmark. Probably from a bay and sitting in black muck for a while. Then again, I could be completely wrong.

OP
OP
tanz 82

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's about as real as they come my friend. Old gold and a beauty at that. I'd say that's been in saltwater since the late 1800's judging by the recessed 18k hallmark. Probably from a bay and sitting in black muck for a while. Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Newburyport MA near a marsh so you tacked down my location

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The color looks off in the first pic, but the other 3 look good. Congrads!! :thumbsup:

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a wicked nice find! Hope you have a real gold ring.

~JobIII

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I thought I would explain my reasoning. Your picture showing the karat mark doesn't look smooth. It also looks like copper. But now I am questioning a find of mine this summer. I have a ring with almost the same mark. It is marked 14K. However it looked brass and I tossed it into my brass ring collection. I just found it and shined it up a bit. I still don't think it is 14K gold, however I am going to have a jeweler test it tomorrow.

My 18K rings all look smooth on the inside. Also the color looks more yellow.

A good possibility is the lighting on mine or your pictures. I am having a hard time with the inside of yours and the crud on mine now! Anyway, I would hope you can get it tested and come back with the results. I will with mine. If mine is gold, I have had my 50th all along. However, I just have my doubts.

Brass can be shined up to look like gold easily. Here is a picture of a gold 50cal round! NOT. Just a friend who had a lot of time on his hands!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll test it for you.

Send it to 'Honest GIB's Gold Testing Emporium'.

Send along a $20 bill for return shipping.

(I'm always jealous of another ring saved from the environment by somebody else)

Congrats.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could it be 8K ? I'm not an expert on jewelry.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one almost exactly like it at an early 1800's home site recently (Chesapeake Bay). I haven't cleaned it up yet, but figured it to be copper. It has the same mark on the inside 18, or 81 depending how you look at it. I've been told that during the early years, copper was the "poor man's gold" and that it was common for wedding bands and other jewelry to be made of copper for this reason. Anyway, hope mine cleans up as good as yours. I would be interested in learning anything you may find out. Congrats!

Copper ring.jpg

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I just took my ring in and had it tested. Possibly 8K but probably plated. So mine is an old FAKE just like I suspected. Going back into my brass pile.

I hope you have better results. Please let us know. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread