relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Sunday I went for a walk at a random place in the woods I just stopped the truck got out and went wandering. Followed the stream for a bit and came across an old mill site. When I got home I checked my old maps and found out it was a saw mill. I went to load it into my GPS and found out I already entered it years ago during one of my winter research frenzies I must have spotted it on the map and put it in my GPS. My memory must be going. Fast forward to yesterday I go back with my detector thinking I'm going to clean up. I hunted it hard and only came up with two non ferrous targets both heavily masked with iron. Someone definitely beat me to it. But I can't complain they left me a nice little nugget of joy. 1801 half reale. And one tiny flat button. This puts me firmly on the board for 2016.

Attachments

• 1454544618901.jpg
    1454544618901.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 1454544640517.jpg
    1454544640517.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 1454544653467.jpg
    1454544653467.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 147
Upvote 26

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you are firmly on the board with that half real. Can't beat this weather right now.

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you are firmly on the board with that half real. Can't beat this weather right now.

Thanks, I tried desperately to read the back mark on the button it definitely says plated and whatever the other part is is only 3 characters. I can't imagine what it would be. This place is within 5 minutes striking distance of my house I will definitely be back with my small coil I'm sure there is more in the iron. After I dug the silver I dug up every high squeak in the immediate vicinity all of them where square nails but I was not taking any chances.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to save another piece of history, and the day!

I'm afraid to just go walking in the woods anymore. Afraid I'll get shot!

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to save another piece of history, and the day!

I'm afraid to just go walking in the woods anymore. Afraid I'll get shot!

I love being in the woods it's the only place I want to hunt. Never been to a park or anyone's lawn with my detector. Half the hobby for me is just locating these places that are lost to time. There are a couple so remote and with so little signs of habitation I am certain I am the only person on earth who even knows about them. One of these days I'm going to hit a farm that I have permission on . But I am in no rush the farmers kid just gotta detector and I'm going to let him have at it for a while before I go clean up there. By the way I am pretty sure your chances of being shot increase with your proximity to town rather than vice versa.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice silver find! :occasion14:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love being in the woods it's the only place I want to hunt. Never been to a park or anyone's lawn with my detector. Half the hobby for me is just locating these places that are lost to time. There are a couple so remote and with so little signs of habitation I am certain I am the only person on earth who even knows about them. One of these days I'm going to hit a farm that I have permission on . But I am in no rush the farmers kid just gotta detector and I'm going to let him have at it for a while before I go clean up there. By the way I am pretty sure your chances of being shot increase with your proximity to town rather than vice versa.

Yep, while it's true that town holds more guns, at least there, it would be on purpose. I wouldn't be mistaken for a deer. LOL

I just finally had to acknowledge that I'm not as young as I think I am. I just need to stay as safe as I can whilst I head toward the finish line. It'll get here soon nuff.

I absolutely LOVE the woods! Just afraid of getting hurt out there......all alone. If that be cowardly, I can "live" to hunt another day with it. ;) LOL

Congrats again and best of luck!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome I also found a old sawmill site from 1800s Hope Its my turn congrats

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, while it's true that town holds more guns, at least there, it would be on purpose. I wouldn't be mistaken for a deer. LOL

I just finally had to acknowledge that I'm not as young as I think I am. I just need to stay as safe as I can whilst I head toward the finish line. It'll get here soon nuff.

I absolutely LOVE the woods! Just afraid of getting hurt out there......all alone. If that be cowardly, I can "live" to hunt another day with it. ;) LOL

Congrats again and best of luck!

Definitely not cowardly more like smart. I always tell my wife approximately where I'm going. I know what you mean about getting hurt out there. I have to be extra careful when I am on my street trail bike you never know when you might catch a vine or something in the handlebars..... put you on the ground real quick. And of course as you pointed out I am alone out there.

Attachments

• 1454550600862.jpg
    1454550600862.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome I also found a old sawmill site from 1800s Hope Its my turn congrats

Good luck to you there. They are great fun places to hunt. And money was changing hands

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not cowardly more like smart. I always tell my wife approximately where I'm going. I know what you mean about getting hurt out there. I have to be extra careful when I am on my street trail bike you never know when you might catch a vine or something in the handlebars..... put you on the ground real quick. And of course as you pointed out I am alone out there.

Well, it might appear smart but it's just more fear than anything else. Like that bike of yours, I could never get me to ride one. The idea that a "fender bender" on one of those and it isn't the fender that's getting bent. :dontknow: LOL

Find something for me! ;)

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, Congrats

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's sweet perseverance pays off. I've made many of nice finds at worked sites being patient

HH Jer

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find on the silver.
When I put on a set of headphones and start swinging the coil in a park in the city, it's definitely like being somewhere else. My little escape and dose of serenity.
Congrats

Last edited:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how you feel there RL!!!! And really like the 650... CONGRATZ

CASPER-2